Horn Damping

bluesboy

If you want to do the factory mod to a 511 you cut the vertical vanes at the weld marks then fill it in with a rubberized compound. I have one 511B that had this done at the factory and this one little mod alone makes a large difference in how little it rings compared to the earier 511s.

When they are mounted in a baffle I found that applying plumbers putty to the throat of the horn did very little to stop them from ringing. What seemed to work very well was putting the putty on the outside of either the top or bottom lip on the mouth of the horn near the edge of the lip. Even just a couple of blobs of the stuff above the vanes really quieted it down. It also seemed to work better doing only one lip, not both.

Shawn

----------------

On 2/23/2005 7:36:36 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Toss 'em in the lake!
6.gif2.gif

Dynamat or
, which is less costly, will work very well.

I have used a lot of the dampening from Parts Express on horns, speaker boxes, CD players and amps.

Rick

----------------

I second that, Rick. Rope caulking is real popular in here, but after I saw Al using the Dynamat-type stuff, I used it on my Belles and Cornwall. Worked well and relatively quick/easy to do.

Carl.

Shawn is on the money. Cut the welds in the vanes with a sawzall and fill the kerfs with silicone or rubber. Don't remove the vanes totally as some folks do, that's a completer waste of time, I know, I tried it. Bolt the horn to a baffle and line the "lips" with putty or non-hardening modeling clay.

The horn pictured shows how I damped the lips. The horn was also screwed to the basshorn on the bottom and that helped alot. The damping seen farther back on the horn body was little or no help.

post-6913-13819261983832_thumb.jpg