Why are my pictures so big when I post?

Dylanl

Well, getting a new computer shouldn't change the file sizes produced by his camera. Are you using the same software and process to post the pics? It seems likely that some software on your old computer was resizing the images automatically. Did you have some picture handling program set to make images "emailable"? Look at what exactly you were doing on the old machine and how the process has changed with the new machine, you'll find the answer, I think? You still have my phone number? Feel free to give a call, I know how frustrating and time-consuming this stuff can be.

The jpg header tells how to interpret the data. Refer here to see how the header is structured. The picture you downloaded to OK...new to 12ga speaker wires...help, please! was specified at 300 dpi (like it might be if you were going to send it to a printer). You want to check the (default) parameters of the program (LEAD Technologies Inc.) that created the file. I was able to get the picture to display better using width="816" height=1056", but if the jpg is created correctly (72 dpi), it should just Work!

Yes, I normally run mine through photoshop, but you can use any software, 72dpi is fine for screen resolution and 600x400 will work with just about anyone's screen dimensions. Save as .jpg so it compressed down to a couple hundred kb so you can email or post quickly.

Michael

----------------

On 2/24/2005 10:16:31 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

you can use any software, 72dpi is fine for screen resolution and 600x400 will work with just about anyone's screen dimensions.

----------------

They are, it's just a question of saving (converting) the image to a standard viewable size (like 640x480dpi) ...

Photoshop can be intimidating for the uninitiated in which case I'd recommend an easier freeware like IrfanView which I frequently use for viewing and simple editing.

No biggie...

Rob