2 15" cht-15 velodynes stacked vs. 1 rsw-15?

SWL

i am considering selling two cht-15 velodynes that i have stacked in a corner to purchase an rsw-15. i am very happy with the velodynes but would like a somewhat tighter,faster bass.will the rsw-15 give an overall better performance? appreciate any advice.

----------------

On 2/25/2005 9:43:34 PM lumpp_scott wrote:

i am considering selling two cht-15 velodynes that i have stacked in a corner to purchase an rsw-15. i am very happy with the velodynes but would like a somewhat tighter,faster bass.will the rsw-15 give an overall better performance? appreciate any advice.

----------------

i know the rsw-15 is a great sub (and pricey as well).....

but i run a single velodyne CT-150 with my KLF-30's...... and compared to the rsw-15 that i heard in a dealer's showroom, my sub really sounded very good.... very tight, very musical.....

i can't imagine two of these in my room (26' x 16')..... i have it set relatively low and it can easily overpower my KLF-30's on some program material.... (and that is with a carver professional ZR1000 digital amp powering the KLF-30's ... 225 watts per channel)

i also run my KLF-30's set to "plus" on my elite receiver.... (the mains are run large and the sub is still engaged)..... it blends in very nicely for that bottom octave...

you can look at my list of equipment in my profile.... a new sub is not even on my upgrade list.....

IMHO.... you might get a little more precision (maybe)... but you would lose overall volume compared with your present system...

1.gif

I use the RSW 15 now and I love it. I had used a FSR12 (still have it) in the past and thought it was great, but it could not keep up with the RF7s.

If you have not already tried it, changing your placement in the room, would be a cheaper solution and the bass response is 50% sub 50% room anyway. Don't think you will disapointed with the RSW 15 though if you went in that direction.

I HAVE A ROOM THAT IS 24X20 AND HAVE PLACED THE SUBS SEPARATELY IN ALMOST EVERY LOCATION. THE BEST POSITION I HAVE FOUND WAS TO STACK THEM IN THE FRONT RIGHT CORNER.BASS IS CLEANER,MORE POWERFUL AND CLARITY IN THE RB-35'S IS EXCELLENT,CRISP.ALTHOUGH THE FINE TUNING I HAVE MADE HAS HELPED,TIGHTNESS STILL SEEMS TO BE LACKING (SLIGHTLY) AT HIGHER VOLUMES. DONT GET ME WRONG, I LOVE HOW THEY SOUND WITH THE RB-35'S. MAYBE I SHOULD LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE. YEAH RIGHT!

gonna pick up some breathable foam tomorrow to block portholes.thanx for the idea. movies sound excellent but i'll try anything to improve the music aspect of the subs. seems like i can't go wrong with movies but music is more tempermental when trying to get it just right. i listened to an rsw-15 and did not notice the warmness of my velodynes,but they seemed tighter and faster.comments?

I also would like tighter bass with my CHT-15. Let us know what you think of blocking the ports. Could someone describe "breathable foam"? I would assume most staff ar home depots would say any type of foam is breathable. What is the best breathable foam to look for? Is there any more cons or risks associated with blocking ports?

Has anyone else tried blocking the port on a CHT-15? I emailed Velodyne to make sure I won't damage anything (some other fuorums mentioned a slight chance of damage when blocking ports, they may have been referring to totall blockage but better safe than sorry?)

I am also looking to get more punch out of my system and I have also read that getting a good separate to powere my KLF-30's may give me the punch I am looking for. I am satisfied with the lows produced from the CHT-15, but then again I haven't heard an RSW-15 yet either!

this weekend i got the opportunity to listen to an rsw-15 in a showroom where i purchased my klipsch speakers. the good thing about it was that they let me and my buddy adjust and position the sub ourselvses, as loud as we wanted i might add. i was VERY impressed with every aspect of the sub. i also tried calling velodyne with the same concern of possibly damaging the sub but they were closed. i got some foam from home depot and inserted into the port leaving an inch on each side open for air. gonna check it out tonight. after hearing the rsw-15,this is gonna have to be some pretty damn good foam.