Cornwall Crate Update (and apologies........)

Audible Nectar

As chronicled in the general questions area, I have been offline for the last couple of months due to crippled computers consumed by spyware/adware/virus/whatevah - and have been unable to communicate with the forum, and therefore had a couple of unanswered/unresponded to requests for the crate.

If I missed you, I apologize. As long as I can stay online, I want to make this available and get it back into circulation. It is ideal for shipping Cornwalls - especially if buyer and seller are near Forward Air terminals. It is as close to bulletproof as obtainable, can be used repeatedly, and is custom made for the job.

Long term, I would like to get this to a forum member who lives near a Forward Air terminal who could be a "keeper of the vault". I am 3+ hours away to the nearest terminal - and have trouble getting to that terminal to ship out, as Chicago only accepts freight on weekdays. this makes me the less-than-ideal "keeper".

And with any luck, I can stick around here...that is if I can keep my computer up and running....and you guys said tubes were a money drainer? I'm thinking computers may have them beat...

Welcome back, sorry to hear of your computer woes.

To help us out here, what would be the ideal qualifications for a 'keeper of the crate'?

Possibly:

Storage space to accomodate it. Is it a single Container that holds 2x Cornwalls? size?

Truck to transport the dern thing to the airport.

Airport within xxx driving distance.

Central to US for lowest avg shipping cost?

Any risk to the 'keeper' for insurance, shipping costs etc?

How much does it get used during a yearx2= # trips

Extreme love of Cornwalls for the time and space requirement (see above)

Are transport costs reimbursed at all by the parties using the crate or is it a labor of love?

I personally have my share of Cornwalls, but am in Indy, have truck and some storage space, and love of the speakers. WOuldn't mind throwing my hat in the ring depending on some of the above conditions. I'm about 40 minute drive from Indpls Int'l Airport, sure we have the necessary cargo service.

Michael in Indy.

Coulter - sounds like you could do this. I have no problem having it here - but once someone needs it, it's trouble getting it to a terminal quickly. Forward Air is the best/cheapest way to do the shipping, and Forward Air has a terminal in Indy.

I don't forsee a "vote" or anything of the sort - ideally, we just need a forum member who could be a storage place when it's not in use. And it wouldn't necessarily be there in storage at all times anyway - I can envision it having several "stations" at various times depending on where it ends up.

But I must say, your location and willingness to do this makes you very qualified! If someone uses it and doesn't want to keep it, there's a place to ship it for future use.

As far as payment arrangements go, it's relatively cheap to ship it empty - about $50-$60 to most locations - so the buyer/seller can make arrangements to pay this. It's worth it for a buyer to pay $50-$60 for the one way empty shipment to get the crate. $150 average loaded cost to ship depending on locations. I'm also sure that an occasional stipend could be arranged for your efforts, too....forum members are pretty good about working things out so it's good for everyone.

And if other members are willing to keep it for periods of time, that's good too. It's been wasting time here - I've had trouble getting it where it needs to be, when it needs to be there. If I can keep the comp up and running, that will help a great deal!

Ok, I'm in, but I'm still a 'move in process' for right now, ie back porch and two car garage are still full of furniture. By late spring/Pilgrimage time, I'll have the house sorted out and probably another 3-4 bay garage/barn out back, so plenty of storage then.

I guess I'm saying I'll volunteer to be the 'Mid-America' hub if ya can just give me a couple months before it gets here, okay?

So then how does it work, we just know who currently is 'keeper of the crate' and when someone calls for it, I ship it to the seller on their $ and when buyer gets it, he ships it to closest 'keeper'? Something like that?

Michael

That's the general idea, Michael - just looking for "base stations" for this down the line. It's fine here for now - but once it begins moving about the country again, it may need a home if others who use it are unable to store it.

No problem on the "spring cleaning/garage build" either - again, it's nice to know there is at least one long term storage option!

Where in the chicago area do you live? Perhaps I could swing by and punch out these pc problems you've been having. Depending on the severity of your problems, it can take anywhere between 2 and 5 hours to fix. All my friends ask me to fix their computers all the time and I figure it'd be no problem to help out a forum member. I'll even provide a free training course on how not to get your pc screwed up again. 2.gif

I could also pick up the cornwall crate and bring it to my house for when colter swings by (provided he gets them heresies in chicago).

This is the original DeanG procured Cornwall crate. It has made several rounds about the country, and ended up at my place after Lucky Leeroy used it. I have had comp issues over the last several months, and am just now getting back online.

Pirahna, this thing is the best Cornwall shipping unit in existence. Short of an Abhrams tank, it's as good as imaginable for the job. And when you use Forward Air, it's station to station shipping, so the handling is minimized. The senders and receivers have to pick up/drop off at terminals, but this does work well if those involved are close to the terminals.

I am in the Quad Cities Dr Who - about three hours west of Downtown Chicago (2 hours from Aurora) - so I'm not sure if that's very convenient for you. However, I could certainly make it worth your while with a 6 Cornwall Theater and MC-30/Klipsch 2 channel demo 9.gif

Tom, however, has also offered his help on the comp issue, so I am getting some capable help from him too. But if you wanna come out sometime, I'm game. If not, I understand that too.

2 hours ain't that long of a drive...I was doing over 8 hours every weekend back and forth from Aurora to Grand Rapids every weekend before I quit that job. 2.gif Besides, if you really wanted Colterphoto to hang onto the vault, then it would work out perfectly because he'll be picking up a pair of heresies from me (or i'll already be bringing a pair down to him). On top of all that, I could never turn down a listening session either. I love listening to music and all you "young" guys keep introducing me to all sorts of new tunes that I love, but can't afford (yet).

As far as the pc problem, I'm glad you've found help and I'll just stay outta the kitchen and leave one cook to his soup. There's different ways to do everything and I'd hate to screw up his approach on accident (and land you back in the same position down the road).

----------------

On 2/28/2005 12:42:59 PM Colin wrote:

is this a second CRATE?

What happened to the first one?

Why have a crate at all? Three inches of styrofoam, wrapped in cardboard work just as well..

----------------

On 2/28/2005 6:26:16 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

Pirahna, this thing is the best Cornwall shipping unit in existence. Short of an Abhrams tank, it's as good as imaginable for the job. And when you use Forward Air, it's station to station shipping, so the handling is minimized. The senders and receivers have to pick up/drop off at terminals, but this does work well if those involved are close to the terminals.

----------------

Sorry for the confusion. I was actually replying to the styrofoam and cardboard solution shown above. No worries, I am in complete agreement with you Audible Nectar. 9.gif

----------------

On 3/1/2005 1:49:47 AM ben. wrote:

Styro and cardboard offer little protection from drunken forklift operators...

Good to see you back around, AN.

----------------

If you've ever driven a forklift then you'll know that you don't need to be drunk for bad things to happen. You're always in a rush and it's too easy to be taking a corner too fast, hit a new bump, or even not lower the fork enough when spearing the skid...not to mention the bashing that goes on when you're trying to pack a semi full in under 10 minutes. My first week driving a forklift I managed to cause a week's worth of damages in one accident (I hit a bump while turning, which hit a resonate frequency of the plastic pallet, which caused everything on it to bounce off like 10 seconds after I had completely stopped...I even had enought time to jump out of the driver's seat, but I decided I didn't want to get crushed, lol).