Norah Jones sound-a-like recommendations?

endover

My wife and I have been looking/listening around for some new music but we don't want to spend $16 every time we think we've found something good only to find out its crap!

I'm looking for someone out there that's similar to Norah's latest album(we actually got lucky with that one). It's a little folksy with a little jazz and a nice laaaaaazy feel to the whole album. Diana Krall's(sorry if I hacked up the spelling) latest album is pretty good but I'd prefer some stuff that's a little less jazzy and a little more folk/pop.... Geese....I didn't know this was so complicated until I started trying to describe it....no wonder I'm paying $16 for CD's I don't like.....ha!

Any recommendations?

I would listen to these before buying them:

Sade (latest is techno-pop)

Cassandra Wilson (once the Queen of jazz)

Sarah McLachlin (more folk, but incredible voice)

Patricia Barber (some are very jazzy)

Kd lang (her last 5 albums are jazzy, country before that)

10.gif

Everybody should have at least one or two of Eva Cassidy in their collection. I would heartily recommend "Sonbird" and "Time After Time". She does a lot of different stuff ranging from gospel to country to pop to rock. All of it is wonderfully recorded and if you like Norah Jones you will absolutely love Eva Cassidy. Trust me on this one, you won't be disappointed.

HEy, try these. Maybe you just got the wrong Diana Krall CD for your tastes. I'm a wedding photographer and use soft slooooow jazz for my consultation muzak in the office. It has to be romantic, soft, no loud solos, etc so you can talk and get all lovey-dovey over it. Not exactly folksy, more 30's 40's kind of 'crooner' music if you will. Okay?

Diana Krall 'When I Look in your Eyes' is mostly old standards played with aplomb with her quartet (?). Old songs you probably are familiar with, but with her smokey, sultry voice. Fact the Music and Dance, Devil May Care, Got you Under my Skin, Best THing for You (Would be me) for starters. Think of soundtrack of When Harry Met Sally, but all by the same artist.

ANother real sleeper is a male vocalist who sounds real Sinatraish, but with lots of vibrato is Bryan Ferry, who sang with the pop band Roxy Music for years. His album As Time Goes By, is full of old standards, such as title, I'm in the mood for Love, You Do something to Me, and others.

hope these work for you. email me and I'll put together a sampler CD for ya, how's that?

Michael

I'd recommend Eva Cassidy, too. "Blues Alley" is great. She's an interesting story--a landscaper who sang in the bars at night- then she died from a melanoma right before her recordings were discovered by more than just her local fans. And god--what a pure voice--

Sarah McLachlan's "Surfacing" is beautiful, folksy, and very soulful--

Dido's "No Angel" is soft pop with a contemporary feel -- Eminem sampled her for one of his hits, but she's very non-threatening.

I like "I Am" by Shelby Lynn, too. Bluesy, folksy music with varied arrangments--she sounds alot like Dusty Springfield.

Dusty Springfield's "Dusty in Memphis" is stellar--made with Deep South R&B players in the early 70's.

I always love hearing Joni Mitchell's "Blue", too--

I've listened to all the above so many times and they are my favorites for soulful jazzy women--

Madeleine Peyroux: Dreamland

She has a new one (Careless Love) that came out a couple months ago, but this is my favorite one.

She does a couple Bessie Smith songs. Sounds like Billie Holiday.

The first song "Walking After Midnight" is worth ther price of the CD.

Danny