ideal setup for ~$600?

Hey guys, I've got roughly $600 (willing to give or take ~$100) to spend on a home audio setup for my bedroom, specifically for my computer. I was wondering if you could suggest a list of components that you think would be the best value for my budget. I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to the technical aspects of home audio, but I trust the opinions of most of you after reading your opinions on various speakers and such :). I would mostly use it for digital audio, and powerfull, rich bass is very important to me so I plan to spend most of my time finding the "right" sub(s?) for me. Any suggestions are welcome.

- Nick

Here's what I would do

Go to Ebay

Buy an integrated amp 50~70 Watt per channel don't pay any more than $50~75. Look for a name like NAD or Denon and not Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, or Techniques (That should get some replies going here). Make sure the pictures say that some loved the thing. Next do the same with Heresy IIs and don't pay any more than $350 be patient if you have to. That's your first $400. Next buy a "new" CD player or DVD and hook it to your TV.

That's my cheap mans stereo. I am wondering what people say about CD Player choices. I'm looking for one too.

Kevin

- Nick

Since you stated" specifically for my computer." I'd just get the Promedia 2.1 setup.

For 150.00 from Best Buy. It comes with awesome computer speakers, + a subwoofer.

This would give you the best bang for you buck......... I have this system, and love it alot. Good Bass and clear powerful sound. JMO. Bill H.

EDIT: I suggest this -because you can use your Computer to play cd's or stream udio ...........cheap way to fill all your needs in One Package. Plus as Nick stated, look at the 5.1 setup IF your considering HT/SURROUND sound......JAI.

For $600 to $700?

I would look for on ebay, used a Wilson WATT/Puppies, say $300 or $400. Then I would look for a used Krell 700cx for $200 or $250 max, again ebay. Your going to need a sub, so look for a used Velodyne DD 1812 signature edition for $100 to $75. Wait I forgot cables .. not sure we can swing it.

3.gif

Yeah, I used to own the 2.1's, liked them a lot, and currently have the ProMedi Ultra 5.1's (LOVE THEM!!), but I just sold a few things, have no rent/bills to pay, and am looking to invest in something "bigger", for the hell of it. It doesn't necessarily have to be for my PC, although that's where all of my music is heh. Any suggestions in how I could even just "bulk up" the 5.1's? That'd be fine, maybe a second sub, different sats, etc? 3.gif

Sounds like you are already set on computer sound. For six hundred bucks on another system, I'd check Ebay and snag a pair of Heresy's, an H/K 430 receiver than head out to Best Buy for a CD player.

oh, yeh, and just say NO to the extended warranty and monste cable at BB.

The HK's are nice (I have one).

I have a set of JBL L60T's (Walnut version of their studio monotors), and a Denon 95 wpc receiver and a Denon DCD 1400 CD player that I can sell to you for $500. All mint condition, especially the speakers, Just had them refoamed. Really nice little system, but I just have too much equipment.

Chris