The Altecs have landed

Dylanl

----------------

On 3/7/2005 10:49:50 AM Dylanl wrote:

That is why I shied away from the A7 Voice of the Theater. Great mid. but low end stops at 50Hz. As much as I like smooth sound I have got to have bottom end along with it. Gary, if you ever get the chance to listen to the 19s I think you would be pleasently plesaed with them. I have never heard the model 17 but the specs. are the same. Horns however are different.

----------------

That is why I use the Altec midrange with the Klipschorn bass horn. They make a nice combo.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/7/2005 5:58:40 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

Gary ... were the woofers re=foamed with the right stuff, do you think ..???

the Santiago's give up some Efficiency for bass exstension

they go a bit lower than the bass reflex Altec's

----------------

I spent a good bit of money and time finding the original kits and had them professionally reconed with the original baskets. Since the bass bins are sealed, it's critical that the correct surrounds are used. Even after that was done, I still wasn't satisfied with the bass extension or high-end (or lack thereof) with the 811b. Loved the midrange but it wasn't enough. I gave them plenty of break-in time but finally gave up. Not that they were bad, just a preference thing.

That's the "Altec Sound". Smooth, uninvolving midrange and beamy highs. They would benefit IMO with a JBL240x tweeter. They fit sensitive ears like Tom Brennan's and others but are too laid back for my tastes. I'm intrigued by Al K's 400Hz Edgar Tracix adaptation.

The spec's listed in the brochure are interesting to say the least. Sure wouldn't make me want to run out and buy a pair. 30-20,000Hz with no deviation listed. That, to me means the -10Db points and most of that low bass is from the port (does it chuff?). Dispersion listed at -6Db at a low 8KHz, what is it at 15? Sensitivity listed with max HF and Mid output from 500- 3KHz. That's good for speach, what is it for music throughout the bandwidth?

That said, I'm sure that the 19's sound a lot better than some of the multithousand dollar monsters that are foisted off on the public today.

Rick

I tell you I am 4 days into these and there is some kind of majic to them. I will be switching back to the Klipschorns soon for a fair evaluation. I do not see the bass as a problem at all. It also does not sound like some poorly designed ported bass I have heard. It is tight and quick. If bass is on a track you will hear it if not no chance.

Lovely, lovely speakers.

JBL vintage and Altec/Lansing drivers are works of both mechanical and sonic art. I enjoy just looking at the older stuff, like the basket/magnet structures on the 130s.

Everthing about them just screams "QUALITY", like old Rolls-Royces. Beautiful fit and finish.

If I may ask, what did a pair that nice set you back?

Some say I over paid at 1200.00 but I looked for at least 5 months and did not see a pair this nice for even close to that. Some said they should be had for 800.00. I wish I could find some that cheap.

I did find a pair that needed the drivers reworked and one woofer was blown out for 700.00 but how much would you have to put into them to get them up to speed?

again...congratulations dylan and I hope you come to love the altecs...don´t let anyone drag you down about the purchase.

please do post some comparisons with the klipschorn when you have a chance, I will be VERY interested to hear the results. regards, tony

I have always liked 2-ways and have heard a similar Altec-Lansing setup (in fact, the horn in the one I know best is driven by one of my P6D amps). The 19s look like absolute magic.

2-ways have a tough decision: where to crossover. For most of my listening I prefer to start at the top, and go as low as possible with the hi freq half. This usually puts the crossover at a very awkward 1.5KHz to 2.5KHz. I am impressed with the RF-7s handling of this compromise. But for many people, and for me with some material (vocal especially, and piano) crossover to the hi freq half in the mid hundreds of Hz is preferable. That generally impacts 15KHz and up, but provides an unobscured window into the 500Hz - 15KHz range.

You can always go 3-way, but that 8KHz crossover can really slice and dice some upper harmonics.

Leo

"got absolutlely NO HELP from the Altec forum when I first got my Santiagos. "

GaryMD, not familiar with 'Santiagos', I know that Altec had a 'Santana' model for a while. What is the Santiago?

SOme model 14's near me did not sell, didn't meet reserve. I may go to the store and see them. NIce cabinetry on those mid/top line Altecs.

Michael

----------------

On 3/8/2005 7:39:27 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

"got absolutlely NO HELP from the Altec forum when I first got my Santiagos. "

GaryMD, not familiar with 'Santiagos', I know that Altec had a 'Santana' model for a while. What is the Santiago?

SOme model 14's near me did not sell, didn't meet reserve. I may go to the store and see them. NIce cabinetry on those mid/top line Altecs.

Michael

----------------

Michael,

The Santiagos are the Valencias with a sealed bass bin and therefore a different woofer. Same cabinets. My grills even had the ports cut out. They weren't very popular so production was limited. I'm pretty sure there's a picture of one in the "MkIIIs Up And Running" thread from a couple years ago.