True surround from DVD-A or SACD

sunprairie

If my DVD player has the separate analog outputs on the back, should I be hooking these up to my Denon 4802 receiver for true 5.1 or does my coaxial cable carry the same signal and then the Denon does the processing? Does it make a difference if it's a DVD-A or SACD vs. DVD video with that same question? It's probably a very basic question, but I don't want to miss anything.

Thanks

DVD-A and SACD can ONLY be passed to the receiver as analog signals. ONLY. PERIOD. (unless you have a firewire or I-link connection, which the 4802 doesn't have, iirc.)

the DVD-V portion of your DVD-As CAN be passed either way, analog (the player does the processing) or digital (the receiver does the processing).

For DVD-V, a digital cable is all that is needed. For true DVD-A (MLP) and SACD, the six analog cables are needed with your setup. Without the six analog cables hooked up, the DVD-A will use the lower resolution Dolby Digital or PCM tracks for output. On an SACD, CD sound is all that is possible via a digital cable on most systems.

Ideally, the high resolution music player should have delay times and bass management for DVD-A and SACD.

Bill

----------------

On 3/5/2005 1:31:17 PM sivadselim wrote:

DVD-A and SACD can ONLY be passed to the receiver as analog signals. ONLY. PERIOD. (unless you have a firewire or I-link connection, which the 4802 doesn't have, iirc.)

I do not know if you are referring to his set up only but this is not a true general statement. I am listening to a multi channel SACD on my Denon DVD 2200 and my Yamaha RX V3300 and have no multi channel analog cables connected. All the decoding is done by the DAC's my Yamaha via the optical cable from the Denon.

----------------

On 3/5/2005 2:04:37 PM J.4knee wrote:

----------------

I do not know if you are referring to his set up only but this is not a true general statement. I am listening to a multi channel SACD on my Denon DVD 2200 and my Yamaha RX V3300 and have no multi channel analog cables connected. All the decoding is done by the DAC's my Yamaha via the optical cable from the Denon.

----------------

sivadselim was correct with the original statement. Unless there is a firewire used the only other way to get true SACD or DVD-A multichannel music to work is by using the 6 analog outputs on the back of the dvd/sacd player.

You might be listening to suround sound using a dsp, DTS or Dolby Digital encoding, but you are not listening to SACD multichannel music if you are.

----------------

----------------

----------------

uh.............................14.gif

no you're not. you're listening to the regular 2-channel CD track that is included on a hybrid SACD. and your receiver must be processing it to multi-channel by a lossy format such as DolbyPLII. you'd actually be better off quality-wise listening to that 2-channel CD track simply as 2-channel stereo. high-resolution SACD absolutely cannot be passed via a digital connection with your equipment. PERIOD.

----------------

On 3/5/2005 2:18:42 PM sunprairie wrote:

If I hook up the 6 anolog outputs for DVD-A would I then need to choose another input device on the receiver and set the inputs to analog on that particular device?

----------------

When I am listening to MC music I simply have to select Multi on my Rotel, your Denon should have something similar to let it know thats your intent.

sunprairie, what player do you have? if it's DACs are comparable to your receiver's in quality, then you can process everything at the player, if you wish. that's what I do; regular CDs, hirez DVD-A and SACD, and DVD movies. some people like to process their CDs and/or movies at the receiver as it allows for separate settings for those formats. it's up to you.

and you use the receiver's "EXT. IN" setting to listen to the 6-channel analog input.

"DVD-A and SACD can ONLY be passed to the receiver as analog signals. ONLY. PERIOD. (unless you have a firewire or I-link connection, which the 4802 doesn't have, iirc.)"

SIV

Even if the 4802 had the iirc/denon link wouldn't the reciever still need to SACD decoder built in?

----------------

On 3/5/2005 2:42:53 PM jacksonbart wrote:

"DVD-A and SACD can ONLY be passed to the receiver as analog signals. ONLY. PERIOD. (unless you have a firewire or I-link connection, which the 4802 doesn't have, iirc.)"

SIV

Even if the 4802 had the iirc/denon link wouldn't the reciever still need to SACD decoder built in?
----------------

yes, and it has neither.

perhaps you're implying that firewire/i-link-capable receivers STILL do not have SACD capability; only DVD-A. and you may be absolutely correct. i'm not that familiar with firewire/i-link, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's indeed the case.

----------------

On 3/5/2005 2:15:18 PM foxman wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

sivadselim was correct with the original statement. Unless there is a firewire used the only other way to get true SACD or DVD-A multichannel music to work is by using the 6 analog outputs on the back of the dvd/sacd player.

You might be listening to suround sound using a dsp, DTS or Dolby Digital encoding, but you are not listening to SACD multichannel music if you are.

----------------

I did no tknow that...obviously. I stand corrected.

rule of thumb....video goes to source and audio to A\V Receiver, coaxial is better than optical IMO for direct audio....10.gif

when you run DVD Audio\SACD Multi-channel, your running "6 channel" input on your A\V Receiver, cables NOW make a difference...10.gif

Tried it both ways. There is only a couple of ways to play true surround DVD-A and SACD, that is 6 analog cables, or firewire or D-Link. The Denon has neither. Real difference between processed sound through coaxial or optical and analog. If you don't go this way, you're missing something.