Help on refoaming woofers please

D0N

I'm refoaming my neighbors AR 58s woofers. These are the 11" cones in the 12" frame.

I got the surround kit from simply speakers today. Their tech support is closed so I'll ask you guys...

Can I put the surround on so the suspension groove faces inside the basket or do I have to put it on the conventional way?

It fits much better when placed on "backwards". When I dry fit the surround the conventional way there's about an 1/8" gap between the cone and the surround because the cone is an 1/8" below the rim of the metal basket.

If I flip the surround over it fits tighter.

thanks for any tips

Don what do you mean by suspension grove, are you talking about the raised or cuped part of the surround? I dont get why this surround dont dry fit right, it should, when I did a set of Mach ones the replacement surrounds dry fit real good.I dont think you should put them on backwards, are you talking about fliping the surround upsidedown and then putting them on? I woulnd't do this. Also you will need to cut out the dust cap and shim the voice coil other wise you take the chance of the voice coil rubbing and running your time and effort. Check out my thread REFOAMING A SET OF MACH ONE WOOFERS, I have over 20 pictures of the refoaming job should help you out a lot, I think the tread is in the updates and mods section of the klipsch forum. I really dont understand why the replacements dont dry fit, they should.

good post on your refoam job. Lots of pics.

I've refoamed 3 sets of woofers so far and always had great results. This is my 1st set of AR woofers though.

The generic instructions that come with the kit has "special repair instructions" on the back for refoaming certain speakers. Bose 901, dahlquist dq10, jbl LE and these AR woofers. They're 11" cones in 12" baskets. I assumed they'd be a bit difficult.

The kit doesn't come with shims or a new dust cap... but then again none of the kits I've installed did.

Here's some pics. Notice the HUGE gap between the foam and the speaker cone in the 1st photo.

P3050002.jpg

This pic is with the foam upside down. It fits much tighter.

P3050001.jpg

I used their refoam kit on a pair of Mission 700's with 8" woofers (the 210's).

The original surrounds were "inverted" but they recommended installing the new foam the other way around. The dry fit was not as intuitively correct as the convex way. I went ahead and installed them their way and they came out great, like new sounding again. I refurbished these as a gift to my father in law as tv speakers.

Combined with a quarter bottle of lemon oil applied over a few months and except for the dings in the veneer they were as new and for next to nothing in money spent.

When I tested them using Paul Simon's "Graceland" I realized why I bought them in the first place as a poor college student. Of course, when I switched to my Forte II's during testing I also realized why I upgraded years later. Nothing like validating your opinions over the years; every now and then, it is nice to know that you have done something right.

--------------------------------------------------

"I will have nothing to do with any ship that is not fast, for I intend to go in harm's way."

No, don't put them in upside down. Presuming that you have the correct surrounds, you'll need to support the cone up higher so you can glue the surround to it. Glue the surround to the cone first and let it set up, then glue it to the frame. I use pencils through the basket criss crossed to lift the cone up where I need it. If you extend the cone up high enough, the surround will be lifted off the frame and you can easily glue underneath. Simply Speakers has the best glue for this, but their instructions leave a little to be desired.

Greg

Looks like you need to move the cone up so it comes in contact with the surround. That is another thing shimming the voice coil helps with is that you can hold the cone up where you need it to match up with the surround.I guess if you are not going to shim the voice coil you need to find some way to hold the cone up maybe try the pencil trick that greg mentioned.