LOUD music: how do you keep your neighbors happy?

kenratboy

Keep them happy,...I THOUGHT they were relatively happy until the other day when I got a "Nastygram" waiting for me when I got home form work. As it turns out they just thought I had a bit too loud for a short time when I got up every morning at 0400. I went out between the houses and listened to it and could barely hear it. So I asked her to go into her bedroom and tell me if she thought it was too loud.

She came back to the door and told me she could still hear it but it didn't sound too loud. I told her I would not turn it up past this level any morning before I went to work and this was all I could do.

She was not happy, but I had to hold my ground. Needless to say she will not even look at me anymore.

Oh well,...14.gif

Bill woodward

----------------

On 3/6/2005 10:44:15 PM 126mhz wrote:

Keep them happy,...I THOUGHT they were relatively happy until the other day when I got a "Nastygram" waiting for me when I got home form work. As it turns out they just thought I had a bit too loud for a short time when I got up every morning at 0400. I went out between the houses and listened to it and could barely hear it. So I asked her to go into her bedroom and tell me if she thought it was too loud.

She came back to the door and told me she could still hear ir but it didn't sound too loud. I told her I would not turn it up past this level any morning before I went to work and this was all I could do.

She was not happy, but I had to hold my ground. Needless to say she will not even look at me anymore.

Oh well,...
14.gif

Bill woodward
----------------

B!t*h 3.gif

Thank goodness my 1000 sqft Ht is in my basement. The only ones I bother are my family and they go upstairs, close my door and then they close there doors. They then proceed to see how loud there tv's will go so they can here what there watching. Although they do complain that the bass is loud. My agreement with them is I get 2 hours on sat and sun to listen to music between 1 & 3 pm 3.gif

----------------

On 3/6/2005 10:06:40 PM Joe Shmoe wrote:

We had a Mexican family move in behind us & they like to have loud pool parties in the summer, that last well into the night. Made me think about getting another pair of 30's and setting them on my deck
:)

----------------

I've had a Mexican family move in across the street from me and another one move into the house next door to me. They all seem to like to blast that Mariachi music out of thier car stereos while parked right in front of my house. One fine afternoon just this past fall (that really nice weekend on/about Halloween, when it hit 80's here), since it was so nice outside, and I had my front windows opened, I was trying to watch a movie on my TV. This one dude decided he needed to treat this whole end of the street to his Mariachi music blasting from his truck. His truck was parked right next to the side of my house where I had my front windows opened.

Getting a bit miffed at his music practically drowning out what I was trying to watch on TV (I did not have my system turned up very loud), I dicided to give that character a taste of just what 200 watts/channel going into some RF-7s really sounds like! I put on some Stratovarious and proceeded to crank up the volume to +10 on the dial and immediatly left the room! That damn thing was so loud that it was practically unbearable in the front yard! However, not one friggan sign of distortion or stress by the amp though! It was completely drowning out the guy's truck stereo! My neighbor on the other side of me came out of his house just friggan laughing his @$$ off! That dude blasting the truck stereo must've gotten the hint as he turned his crap off pretty quickly after that.

Also, a few years ago, I actually had the cops called on me asking me to turn down my music that I was playing out of a friggan set of ProMedia's! Granted, it was kinda late at night/early morning as I was sampling MP3 files from MP3.com during it's glory days.

I've got it too easy. I live on the end of a small point of land on a little lake, my neighbor to the left is about 150 yards away and older, hearing aid, windows always closed, no problem there. On the other side, a retired couple in their high 70's, both with hearing aids, and only there from April to October, winters in Texas. A few houses, 4, past them to the end of the road, maybe 200 yards, but they're all cabins, only occupied on infrequent weekends during the summer and rarely during the winter.

Once I get the listening room built downstairs, with poured cement walls backed into the earth on two sides, thick, accoustically dead (hopefully) walls and ceiling, the only concern I'll have will be people across the lake, but since it's on the back side of the house with another semi-soundproof room (wood shop) between it and the lake, it shouldn't be an issue.

Except for inside the house. 14.gif

----------------

On 3/6/2005 2:06:45 AM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Every once in a while when I get in the mood to crank it, I put on some Dream Theater or Pink Floyd or something. It's a good 110 db in the house, peaking at 117.

----------------

Have your hearing checked. That is concert level (or more) 10 rows back. The problem is that you don't know what is too loud and you could be slowly losing your hearing. That is why you can listen to those levels on a regular basis now. Check out this site for what you are slowly doing to your hearing. I am not speaking to you as a superior - FAR from it. I am concerned that you and, perhaps others, are ruining your hearing. The ability to tolerate destructive sound levels is nothing to brag about.

EDIT: Here is a review of a Yamaha receiver that also contains some good info on power vs. wpc. The reviewer believes that good amplification can be appreciated at much lower levels. Just a thought.

Good point. I just got my RS SPL meter last Thursday, but haven't had a chance to run up the system since my folks have been here since then. Am hoping to get a chance soon just to see what kind of level I've been listening to. It is an interesting piece of equipment. I just wish it had a still lower scale so I could find out what the true noise floor is in the house. Doesn't register a thing at the lowest scale, regardless of settings, so have to figure it's less than 50, unless someone knows more about it's operation and can correct me.

Having our theater in the basement with glass block windows and soundproofing is a huge help. With all the outside doors and windows closed and the sound up at concert level, the only indication there's a sound system on is if you are standing close to our front porch, you can hear a hint of the bass. But, from our neighbors' property on both side of us, you can hear nothing.

Klipschfoot--

Im not usually in the same room when its that loud. I do that when I'm on the other side of the house cleaning the kitchen or the living room or something. The loudest i get when im in the same room is where it peaks at 110, which is still really loud, but I only have it that loud for about one song's length, and then turn it down to about 100. Still not very responsible, but better than it was. Thanks for the links though!

Thanks for the info on the League of Hard of HEaring. Another good source is the Noice Pollution Coalition.

I'm going to make some copies and give my neighbor who operates a commercial leaf blower 8 hours per sunday all fall without any hearing protection. I measured a similar unit with my RS meter and got 100dB at ear level. That's definitely dangerous.

If you have a neighbor whose noise interferes with your ability to enjoy your own music, such as booming car stereos, check you local ordinances. Many towns have specific laws governing loud music and/or car stereos, although it may be difficult to get accurate measurements or compliance.

Michael

Well Ken high SPLs are definetely a younger mans game, I used to allways dial it up real loud in my teens and early twenties.

Well when were old and grey we should be able to remove the mid flares and fashion them into a low cost hearing aid-----"Im sorry Ken I couldnt hear you,could you please speak into the horn this time"

Just break em in slowly (your neighbors) or try to get some incriminating photos for the purpose of blackmailing.

Why not try talking to them,ask them if its too loud, a little PR may go a long way.

And there is allways the last resort of turning it down.14.gif

Keep the peace.

Tomski