Any JBL Fans??

----------------

On 3/6/2005 4:52:17 PM D0N wrote:

I had a pair of the L300 summits for a while. They were very nice speakers. Quite a bit bigger than the L200B though.

Those L200B's look nice. Too bad the original grill foam wastes away.
14.gif

----------------

Actually...The L300 Summits are only a few inches taller and an inch or two deeper. Otherwise, they're virtually identical. The throat on the midhorn is an inch longer on the L300 and, of course, they have the 077 tweeters.

I love the older JBL's like your's. They are a wonderful speaker, and I agree with Audible, they are one of the few speakers IMHO can go head to head with the Big Hereitage. My folks own a pair of L250's. They are beautiful teak wood, and are crystal clear LOUD. I use to crank'em in my hoodlum days, whenever they'd go out of town. Man those things could shake the foundation.

----------------

...My folks own a pair of L250's. They are beautiful teak wood, and are crystal clear LOUD. I use to crank'em in my hoodlum days, whenever they'd go out of town. Man those things could shake the foundation.

----------------

When I was a teenager, my three dream speakers were the K Horn, the JBL L250's and the Polk SDA's. I bet those things look awsome in Teak.

Chris

----------------

My folks own a pair of L250's. They are beautiful teak wood, and are crystal clear LOUD. I use to crank'em in my hoodlum days, whenever they'd go out of town. Man those things could shake the foundation.

----------------

When I was a teenager, my three dream speakers were the K Horn, the JBL L250's and the Polk SDA's.

I have a pair of JBL L60 T's that are really nice. A home version of the studio monitors in oiled walnut. I bet your parents speakers sound awsome.

Chris

----------------

On 3/6/2005 11:46:21 AM gullahisland wrote:

Also...I can't figure out how to resize the images. Can it be done with Microsoft Imaging? I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to digital imaging and .mp3s.

----------------

try this free graphics proggie. among other things, it will allow you to resize and easily convert between graphics file types.

http://www.irfanview.com

----------------

On 3/6/2005 11:20:22 PM gullahisland wrote:

----------------

On 3/6/2005 4:52:17 PM D0N wrote:

I had a pair of the L300 summits for a while. They were very nice speakers. Quite a bit bigger than the L200B though.

Those L200B's look nice. Too bad the original grill foam wastes away.
14.gif

----------------

Actually...The L300 Summits are only a few inches taller and an inch or two deeper. Otherwise, they're virtually identical. The throat on the midhorn is an inch longer on the L300 and, of course, they have the 077 tweeters.

----------------

You're right. My mistake. I had the Oracle L220's. I've had so many speakers I forget!

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1979-l220/L220_p1.jpg

----------------

On 3/7/2005 9:12:23 AM fini wrote:

Before or after the re-foam?

2.gif

----------------

Yes.

Not trying to be cute, but I really thought that I'd leave them alone and let the buyer decide. I would lean toward using a 3rd party who has a passion for vintage audio rather than the authorized service centers that I spoke with.

I found a guy in San Jose who is a JBL/Altec/Klipsch FREAK. His full-time gig is as a high school teacher, but he does repair work on the side. He quoted me $45 each for a refoam or $85 each for a complete recone. So we're +/- $100 depending on the whether or not they're refoamed prior to purchase. They will play as is, but I would only play them briefly at a modest level to avoid damaging the voice coils. (I mention this to illustrate that even if they were not yet refoamed, the buyer would have an opportunity to hear them and verify their operability.)

He told me, for instance, that on a recone he would carefully cut out the dust cap on the old cone and use it on the new one to keep the look of the driver "original". I guess even a new cone from JBL would look different from the original.

Anyway...It's this kind of care and attention to detail that I think we can all appreciate.

----------------

On 3/7/2005 1:39:45 AM sivadselim wrote:

----------------

On 3/6/2005 11:46:21 AM gullahisland wrote:

Also...I can't figure out how to resize the images. Can it be done with Microsoft Imaging? I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to digital imaging and .mp3s.

----------------

try this free graphics proggie. among other things, it will allow you to resize and easily convert between graphics file types.

----------------

Thanks for the tip! I'll give this a try.