Heritage Forte's need advice on using for Home Theater Use

I have a par of Heritage Forte speaker's (purchased in '88)and really like their sound and was wondering if anyone has any advise on how to incorporate these into a home theatre system, i.e. what speakers should I use for the center, surround, sub and where is the best place to look for them?? I will need to update my receiver to accomodate what I am trying to do so any advise on what would work best would be great.... Thanks...

----------------

On 3/6/2005 10:44:12 PM 03373 wrote:

I have a par of Heritage Forte speaker's (purchased in '88)and really like their sound and was wondering if anyone has any advise on how to incorporate these into a home theatre system, i.e. what speakers should I use for the center, surround, sub and where is the best place to look for them?? I will need to update my receiver to accomodate what I am trying to do so any advise on what would work best would be great.... Thanks...

----------------

Tim.

Imo, the recent selling prices on used Fortes (and other Klipsch speakers) makes them one of the best audio values currently available. I can highly recommend another pair for your surrounds if you have the space. I have a pair that are used for surrounds. They're on stands about 20" high, which seems to help with movies.

For the center channel, you'll want something that sounds as much like your mains as possible. The best match is another Forte, but the size and design makes it impractical as a center speaker in most systems. Go for it if you have the space. If not, you could get decent results from the KG-2.2V, an Academy or the KLF-C7. The Academy would be considered the closest match by most folks, but I use a KLF-C7 without noticing any timbre mis-match. The 2.2V is less money and does a good job at lower volumes.

Subwoofer? Best advice I have is to buy a big one.....or two, especially if you want your movies to have bass like you get at a theater. Any of the popular sub manufacturers will have what you need, some are just more expensive than others when comparing cost/performance.

Where to get them? There's someone on the forum that offered some Fortes for @ $450 the other day, and there's always some on Ebay and/or Audiogon.com. They normally sell for $450 to $700 pr. The center speakers can be found at the same places. Expect the Academy to sell for $500 to $700, and the KLF-C7 to go for $300 to $450. The 2.2 is probably less than $200 (guessing).

I hope this helps. Good luck!!

Tim:

I'm in the same situation as you; I have some Hertigage Forte's that I plan on deploying into a new HT setup. I actually called Klipsch customer support, and someone on the technical side recommended matching the Forte's with an RC-35 and the RS-35's. From what I've been reading on this board, that isn't exactly a great idea.

I like the idea of using additional Forte's for RS/LS and center, however, I'd prefer a smaller profile for the surrounds that could be mounted on the wall in a room that is 19'x16'. Now, my understanding is that matching the center channel is the most critical thing, and matching of surrounds isn't quite as important. Please let me know if I'm mistaken. I was planning on using the RS-35's, and I hope that would be okay.

While I'd love to find an Academy somewhere, it seems that they are prohibitively difficult to locate these days. What additional options, in order of preference, are available? I've seen references to a whole number of center channel options, but what would be the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best behind the Academy?

Many thanks.

Behind the Academy, The Best tradional centers for that setup are the following, in order. KLF C-7, KG2.2v or2.5v.

I run five kg2.2's in a 7.1 setup with my Forte's. A previous post said something about the 2.2v only being a good center at low volumes. Maybe in a huge room it would present an issue, but I really love the 2.2v as a center. The only issue is that the 2.2's are not quite as efficient as the Fortes, and you have to goose the amp volume on the center about 4-5 db.

Enjoy HT with your Forte's. As previously stated, more forte's would make the perfect surrounds, but that is a little impratical in most situations. The 2.2 is a pretty large bookshelf that has one of the best bang for buck sounds in the Klipsch line.

I think the easiest route would be to purchase 3 Heresy II speakers. One for the center channel and 2 in the rear. This would give you a close timber match. If you do not have the room for a Heresy center channel, then used C7 or Academy would make good choices as well.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Finding 3 Heresy's might be a little tough, so I think I might opt for a used C7. Am I right in assuming that matching the surrounds isn't quite as important? I was originally thinking about the RS-35's; would these be a fair choice or should I consider something else? I'd like to wall-mount the surrounds somehow via keyhole or other means, so I want to keep the profile appropriate without compromising quality too much.

I still think a KT-LCR (tractrix horn) would beat the heck out of the KG (exponential) speakers for center use with Forte's or Chorus, and will cost about 1/2 or less as much. Compare specs of the KT-LCR and the KLF-C7.

I have Chorus and Chorus II and 3 KT-LCR's, just haven't had the time to test them together.

Keith

GeorgeV:

ABSOLUTELY not, nothing personal but I tried the Forte L&R with a Heresy II center about a year back, and the results were a horrible mismatch in timbre. Heresy II will NOT work as a center between Forte's, this has been brought up many times before, and from someone who has tried it, you have been warned. The Heresy II is FAR too bright in the upper frequencies and nowhere close to Forte, it's a "hateful" combination.

Good matches for Forte include another Forte (best but tough to do), Academy (best overall), and KG2 (will work in a pinch, timbre match is reasonably close.

Chris

If you have room, and the $, then a Quartet (smaller sib to Forte & Chorus)) will make for a nearly-identical timbre match with a Forte II (only slightly less so with a Forte I). Quartets use the same midrange and tweeter as a Forte II (most critical for matching); they have a 10" woofer (vs. 12") and 12" passive (vs. 12" or 15"). If you remove the base/riser (easy to do), then you have a 48-50 lb center (29"x16"x12"), which many TVs or shelves will hold. One or two pairs of Quartets seem to appear on Ebay about every month, about as often as KG 2.2Vs. Q's sell for $300-$400; 2.2Vs sell for $100-$150. I did have a Forte-KG2.2 arrangement once, and it sounded quite good. I have heard that the KT-LCR can match OK, but I hardly ever see them on Ebay.

You can probably perform a search, and find one of my posts about my own experience in using Fortes with Home Theater...

Short version: I tried an RC3 (HORRIBLE mismatch), then KLF-C7 (terrific speaker in its own right, but not quite right with Fortes, especially with film sound material shared between it and the Fortes), then I finally scored an Academy. It fits like a glove, and while I understand that another Forte would be best, it just doesn't work with the average RPTV; the Academy fits very nicely on top of my 55" Mits (with foam placed under the back of it, to tilt it down toward the sweet spot).

Yes, they are hard to find; and, yes, people are paying way too much for them; a KLF-C7 could hold you for now, and if you can keep an eye out for an Academy, it should be easy work to get your money back on the C7. I was lucky enough to basically swap mine with the Academy, price-wise.

Heh, I saw that. If you guys are saying that the old KG2.2V would be a decent match for the $$, I might just bid on it. Finding an academy seems to be prohibitively difficult, and if the KG2.2V is a fair match (say, better than a new RC-35, for that matter), then I'll run with that advice.

Many thanks for the help and insight.