new denon 4802 has adjustable crossover that goes down from 80hz

boa12

thanks to a heads up from TTK(keith), i've been checkin out the new denon 4802 at www.denon.com

they have actually put in the adjustable crossover w/ settings down to 60 & 40hz. Eek.gif

looks like it'll be in at dealers in the 1st few weeks of sep.

i'd like a main receiver to keep for at least the next 10-15 yrs. of course sound quality is the main thing. but this lil beast has all the features i'm looking for to jump to 6.1 w/ the recent c7 purchase from ubid (hope it stays put on the mantle above the rear fireplace).

i'm gonna have to listen to it. or maybe just listen again to the 4800 here & jump on the 4802 when it comes out.

ohhh the anguish. cwm14.gif anybody have the 4802 yet or any thoughts on it?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-21-2001 at 07:37 PM

don't anyone count on marantz. no adjustable cross on any of their new units including the upcoming 8200 & 9200 per their tech support. imo they make great quality audio gear, but still are way behind the curve & denon for usefull features.

But ohhhhhhh that two channel sweetness from the Marantz stuff. It seems like it would be fairly easy to build a nice adjustable low-pass filter for the LFE out on these rigs. I am feeling a bit ambitious today. I may draw up a quick little circuit and see how she flies. It may require a few parts, some op amps, etc...but it can be done. The first design that pops into my head would have to be active though (little wall pack to power it or something).

Hey Boa...is that 9200 Marantz the replacement for the SR-19EX or just an extension of the SRx000's series? What is the skinny on improvements to the reference line?

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Heresy I Surrounds

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

speed, sorry but no official info from marantz even on the sr9200. official press release not out yet. but from what i've gathered it' a higher powered sr7200 which has all the new stuff including 6 seperate power modules for all in one 6.1 channel playback.

don't see why they can't put in that adjustable cross. really just a dsp enhancement. sony & HK have been doing it for a while now.

i'll definitely hold on to my marantz sr8000 for stereo

& possible future use for 5.1 w/ the rf-3 & such in the back room.

Boa,

What did they tell you about the 8200 and 9200? Much of anything? Any wattage, etc? I really like the 7200 and would be content buying it if the 8200 and 9200 aren't going to be major upgrades. I have to agree that the Marantz line just does beautiful stereo. In my case I will be listening to music almost as much as HT. Quick question, I will be building a house shortly, any advice for room size, etc. for HT/listening room. Are vaulted ceilings bad for sound quality? It will be a Marantz/RF7 based system.

Juan

jh, they 1st said they have no info on them yet but when i asked if they'd have any crossover adjustment the guy said no definitely, or was it defiantly cwm25.gif

just my conjecture, but i don't really see anything features-wise the 82&9200 could add 'cept more power.

unless maybe instead of just 6, 7 powered channels like the denons.

I use a DBX 120X-DS to manage my subwoofer, it has a continuously variable crossover from 50Hz-210Hz, takes bass signals from 55Hz-110Hz and brings them down a full octave down to 27Hz. You can also tweek 4 frequencies at 28, 34, 40 and 50Hz for the ultimate in tuning. No need to build anything, or drop $1600+ for a new receiver just have that feature. They can be had on eBay for around $200 or so on average. In fact I have one coming to me that I won't need if anyone wants it. These things are great for subwoofer control and they can also reinforce the low end in your mains and rears to boot. Just make sure your speakers and amplifier can handle it, more bass requires more power!

------------------

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (ALF/ARF) LWE-I's w/Motion Feedback (Walnut)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (LF/RF) (Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's (Walnut/Cane) & ESS Mini Monitors (Walnut)

DBX MPA-150 Mono Split Spectrum Amplifier © (KV-4 - Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

Nakamichi MB-10 Music Bank CD Changer

Technics SL-DL5 DD Linear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

RCA DRD-303RA Satellite Receiver

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Electronic Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller (2) (1-LC) (1-RC)

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

BBE - ARS Audio Recovery System

DBX 2015G 15 Band/Channel Equalizer

A/D/S L300E Mini Speakers

GE 20" Television

frz, i looked into that dbx pretty throughly & it looks great but i couldn't find anyway to connect & run it w/ my marantz sr8000 since it has no tape monitor function.

i'll need a new receiver to get 6.1+ anyway as i've figured out a way to get another C7 in the rear center.

the addiction continues. cwm14.gif

i did call denon to find more on that adjustable crossover on the 4802. it's a global setting ie not specific for fronts, center, rear, rear surround.

a lil concern that if a setting of 60hz is used then could be a lil too low for the C7 centers. shouldn't be a major problem though as most 5.1/6.1 source material shouldn't have a lot of sub 75hz stuff sent only to the center channels.

have my C7 disconnected now but seem to remember that it put out down to about 60hz on the frequency sweep.

anybody done a sweep on a C7 to validate it's sub 75hz output?