Finally got a pair of RF-7s, WOW

dr.bear

Got them last week but didn't set them up until this week. My friend had to come over and help me position the speakers cause they're so darn heavy. The cherry cabinet has a very nice and polished finish. My only gripe that I have are the cheaply made speaker grills. One of the grills had a broken peg. The other was cracked in half near the klipsch icon. My dealer ordered new ones for me.

After setting up the speakers with my Denon 3803, all I can say is WoW!!! They sure kick the crap out of my kg 4.2s. But then again, these speakers are not comparable. The sound stage is so lively and rich. I turned off my PB 12 plus2 and set the Denon to stereo mode to listen to my cds. The full dynamic range of the rf-7s is amazing. The stereo separation and accurate reproduction of sound is amazing. Can't wait until they break-in. I hear it's about 50 hours of loud listening?

So now I have a pair of rf-7s and a rc-7. Time to do some research on finding the right surround speakers to complete my 5.1 setup. Can't wait until my HT is complete. Thank you Klipsch for making such awesome speakers. And, thank you forum members for the great information I got in helping me make some of my HT decisions.

I see that you are just as impressed with the 7's as I was. I listened to a number of speakers at this price range and nothing even came close the sound that the 7's produced. Definitely the best value out there.

I agree with Fish, the more you play the 7's the better they will sound.

I try to play my music relatively loud. With my kg 4.2s I had the Denon receiver at -15 db and was satisfied. With the rf-7s at -15 db, my wife yelled at me to turn it down. The interesting thing with the new speakers is that as the volume gets louder the sound quality stays true and doesn't get harsh.

----------------

On 3/10/2005 7:08:57 PM dr.bear wrote:

Time to do some research on finding the right surround speakers to complete my 5.1 setup. Can't wait until my HT is complete. Thank you Klipsch for making such awesome speakers. And, thank you forum members for the great information I got in helping me make some of my HT decisions.

----------------

Gotta be RS7's... They are what I would have bought, but I had to go with (smaller) RS3's due to a narrow placement option on my right wall...

I must not have heard a pair of RF7's set up properly the few times I have heard them in the stores: they never seem as "live" sounding as my Fortes.

Congratulations on the new speakers!!!

The surrounds could be RS-7s or RB-75s or RB-35s. For multi channel music, the RB-75s would be my choice. One member likes the RC-7 for surround duty.

The Denon receiver will not bring out the full potential of the RF-7s in the bass frequencies. A very good separate amp is needed to hear the best bass the RF-7s have to offer.

Bill

----------------

On 3/10/2005 10:54:43 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Congratulations on the new speakers!!!

The surrounds could be RS-7s or RB-75s or RB-35s. For multi channel music, the RB-75s would be my choice. One member likes the RC-7 for surround duty.

Bill

----------------

Oh yes... The RC7. The most under estimated, overlooked, under appreciated Klipsch speaker in my opinion. People see that it's a center channel speaker and think... Well.. can't use it for anything but a center. Not so. Not so at all. I have 5 of them. All pulling surround and rear duty. 16.gif

Mcgoo, I agree 100% with you about getting a SS amp. I'm still doing my homework on what amp to get. It'll probably be an amp with a 5 * 200 watt configuration. Was thinking of spending somewhere between $2000-3000. I guess I can use my Denon 3803 for preamp functions. But the amp will have to wait because my wife and I just found out she is pregnant. I'll have to spend my time and effort in the up coming months/years(?) getting baby stuff. Not to worry because my HT hobby never ends. It just keeps on getting better. With the cost of good HT components, I don't mind being patient in order to get the right stuff without buyer's remorse.

Thanks for you help guys/gals.

A good used amp might allow an upgrade sooner. Many good amps are available on AudioGon and other sites. As always, care is required when buying over the Internet.

Sunfire is a possibility used as is B&K. For new, Carver Pro makes 2 channel digital amps that are quite nice.

----------------

On 3/10/2005 10:54:43 PM MrMcGoo wrote

The Denon receiver will not bring out the full potential of the RF-7s in the bass frequencies. A very good separate amp is needed to hear the best bass the RF-7s have to offer.

Bill

----------------

When I said there's good and bad news I was thinking about the upgrades to come.When I said give the 7s a year or two I figured thats about how long it takes to find the right combo of equipment for each individual.

----------------

On 3/11/2005 6:32:15 PM dr.bear wrote:

Mcgoo, I agree 100% with you about getting a SS amp. I'm still doing my homework on what amp to get. It'll probably be an amp with a 5 * 200 watt configuration. Was thinking of spending somewhere between $2000-3000. I guess I can use my Denon 3803 for preamp functions. But the amp will have to wait because my wife and I just found out she is pregnant. I'll have to spend my time and effort in the up coming months/years(?) getting baby stuff. Not to worry because my HT hobby never ends. It just keeps on getting better. With the cost of good HT components, I don't mind being patient in order to get the right stuff without buyer's remorse.

Thanks for you help guys/gals.

----------------

MrMcGoo is right...

sunfire makes some excellent amps....

another choice in your price range is the gemstone amplifier.... excellent amp....

http://www.gemstoneaudio.com/amplifiers/blue_diamond.php

$2299 for a 5 x 200 watt

bd_main_thumb.jpgnewfront_thumb.jpgbd_back_thumb.jpg

if you want to upgrade your system in a more economical way right now - get a great two channel amp to power your mains and then add more amps as finances allow....

a great ss amp that works extremely well with klipsch speakers is the carver pro ZR series of amps.... i have the ZR1000 digital amplifier powering my KLF-30's... 225 watts per channel at 8 ohms.... excellent sound!!!

http://www.carverpro.com/zramps.html

zr1600-lg.jpg

sells for about $800 online....

1.gif

----------------

On 3/12/2005 3:41:42 PM nicholtl wrote:

Russ never turns down an opportunity to plug for his gear.
2.gif

----------------

i "plug" my gear when it might help another forum member....

you will also notice that i listed the gemstone amplifier - which i don't own....

and i also list my equipment only in my profile.... not in my signature like others on this forum.... that way it doesn't appear in every single one of my posts....

2.gif

I've been doing a lot of research on different amps. Everyone has great suggestions. The amp that caught my eye was the BK ref 200.5 S2. Looks like a nice 75 amp current rating. Should be able to handle the impedence drops the RF-7s will cause. Does anyone have first hand experience with this amp or even BK amps in this series? I hear some amps have an annoying hiss that takes rocket science to correct. Is this a problem BK has? Thanks for any comments.