Trey, mods? How does Klipsch test cinema speakers?

kenratboy

Yeah, I am sure you can slap something together and sell it (maybe that is all it takes 9.gif ), but I assume there is some 'real world' listening done with cinema speakers and the like - or if anything, some need to do measurements 10, 20, 30 meters away, and not just living room distances.

What sort of location are you able to do this in? Anything else of interest?

• Klipsch Employees

Everything is ran in the chamber to gather Polar data and SPL response. We listen close and then take them outside and listen again.

Back when Klipsch Pro was going strong, we would have a party and bring the prototypes out. We would play live music and recorded music through them.

It was always fun to crank them up and see how far away we could get and still understand what was being played.

At the last party I had (in Hope) I went around to all the folks with in a mile of the house and invited them as well as gave them my number to call if we got to loud. At midnight the cops showed....they informed me that 1 mile was not far enough. Some older ladies about 3 miles away could not sleep due to the "noise"...So we turned it down and offered the cops some BBQ and beer. They took the BBQ but not the beer...They even stayed for a bit to make sure we did not turn it back up...(or to eat more BBQ)

There was another time that the party could be heard for about 6 miles...but I can't tell about that party...I think it is still under a "hush" order....

If you go to the info page for one of our cinema products you will find "ease data". This may give you some idea the kind of data the guys that build cinemas need....

Maron: I hope you are not serious, or else we might need to have a little e-mail exchange.

Trey: so Klipsch Pro is waining? I got the impression with the cinema dominance, it would be exploding. I believe JBL used to have most all of the market share, but according to the numbers Klipsch talks about, that would hint they have stolen market share. Or, is it just the fact movie theaters are stagnant right now and nobody is selling much of anything?

• Klipsch Employees

NO I said PRO not Cinema....our Cinema sales are top in the nation...Yes, we have taken JBL off that top block.

When I talk PRO Klipsch I am talking about the KP-301, KP-480-AX, KP-250....speaker like that.

The Cinema product (most of the time) starts with KPT = Klipsch Pro Theater

----------------

On 3/17/2005 11:20:50 AM Trey Cannon wrote:

NO I said PRO not Cinema....our Cinema sales are top in the nation...Yes, we have taken JBL off that top block.

----------------

Trey, that is so cool. Is there any way you can strong arm my local Regal Cinema to get some Klipsch in house? They are running somthing like EV or something like that...

Great stories about the parties. 3 miles away? Woah, that is VERY impressive. Love how the police had some BBQ with you guys. Sounds like they must have been cool officers. Was this at your house or on the Klipsch propery?

I have a semi (in my own mind) famous true story when I was in College my freshman year. I lived on the 9th story of a male dorm. Down below was basketball courts and seeing how it was a friday afternoon and no one to complain I was cranking out Peter Framptons "Do You Feel Like We Do" very loud out of the 9th floor windows to be heard below on a pair of Klipsch Heresey speakers. Now the campus Library is probably a good mile away. A fellow dorm floor friend came out of the library and said "Wow, I bet that is Roger playing tunes all the way from Wilkie Quad."

Sure enough, as they got closer, it got louder. And he was right too. I have no idea how it could of been that loud really, no way to back it up other than to say probably a mile away, a good 100 watt amp cranked maybe 3/4 of the way up, even at 9 floors up... you can really hear Heresies too!

• Klipsch Employees

----------------

On 3/17/2005 6:45:14 PM Jay L wrote:

trey you still didn't answer the question on how cinema speakers are tested other than in the chamber.
9.gif
----------------

We do most of the testing for frequency responce "near field"...

When we need to get LF responce or more than 3 meters, we move the test outside.

In a chamber at 3 meters you take a responce curve every 5 degrees while truning the whole system.

then we put that data into a program that turns it into a graph. This graph can tell us what coverage the system will have.

Then using that data and "EASE" we can calulacate how it will work in a room of any size.

Then we work with REGAL Cinemas and install the system and take a listen. So far we have not had to pull a system back out and start over...

Does this answer your question?

• Klipsch Employees

They can and do use what they want. But, I think that Klipsch is the speaker of chooice.

I don't know about contracts. I just make speakers...

----------------

On 3/18/2005 2:17:08 PM m00n wrote:

So Trey... You guys are basically the GO TO speaker company for Regal now? Do you have contracts with them? Are they able to use any speaker systems other than Klipsch now?
----------------

Trey:

Yes, thank you, that did answer my question.

Just wondering if there was a need to spend time testing these speakers at 10, 20 meters, but I guess thanks to technology and experience, you don't need to. Hey, more efficent, less expensive products - can't loose!

So, how would some of the cinema speakers sound in a large home theater? Would they just be 'too much' and not sound right, or would it work?