RSW-12 setup

slofuse1

I finally got the sub I wanted and need a little help.

My receiver has 3 crossover frequencies to select from: 80, 100, 120 Hz. I believe the cornwalls work pretty well down to at least 50Hz. Does this mean I have the wrong receiver for the job?4.gif

Cornwall Mains, ForteII rears, RSW-12 sub, RC 3II center; Denon 1803 receiver

----------------

On 3/16/2005 1:02:44 AM slofuse1 wrote:

I finally got the sub I wanted and need a little help.

My receiver has 3 crossover frequencies to select from: 80, 100, 120 Hz. I believe the cornwalls work pretty well down to at least 50Hz. Does this mean I have the wrong receiver for the job?
4.gif

Cornwall Mains, ForteII rears, RSW-12 sub, RC 3II center; Denon 1803 receiver

----------------

No your reciever is good. I would set your receivers cross-over

at 80 hz. To propertly set your sub and speakers you need to

have a good test DVD and a sound pressure meter.

The RSW-12 has it's own settings so it doesn't matter what you run into it. I just set mine to 80 and it's a done deal as long as you feed it a center channel or LFE channel. It also has outputs to feed the center channel or LFE channel somewhere else simultaneously if you are running two subs.

JJK

----------------

On 3/16/2005 11:15:29 AM JJKIZAK wrote:

The RSW-12 has it's own settings so it doesn't matter what you run into it. I just set mine to 80 and it's a done deal as long as you feed it a center channel or LFE channel. It also has outputs to feed the center channel or LFE channel somewhere else simultaneously if you are running two subs.

JJK

----------------

You really don't want to have the sound go through 2 crossovers.

"Does this mean I have the wrong receiver for the job?"

Not at all, I agree with gcoker, set the cross over at 80, disable the low bypass on your sub. If you still want to send lower bass to the Cornwalls, set the 'LFE or LFE + Mains' to LFE+Mains. It you allow the RSW12 to handle everything below 80hz, you will be making your 1803 basically into a more powerful receiver, amp wise, because all of its power is being used for signals 80hz and above. That said after you spend some time on the forum you will come across many people have upgraded to a separate amp drive to their speakers and just use the receiver as a pre-amp, but enjoy what you have for now.

I really appreciate the advice. The really great thing about this forum is that you get to hear from numerous sources, all speaking from hard-won experience. Then you consolidate the info and come up with a solution that works for you. I ended up setting the crossover for 80Hz and tried it with and without the LFE enabled and at both polarity positions and it clearly worked best with the LFE disabled and the polarity at 0°. I'm a happy camper. Thanks again.9.gif

1972 Cornwall Mains, 1992 Forte II Surrounds; RC 3II Center; RSW-12 Sub; Denon 1803 Receiver