Vintage Tandberg Tape Deck

Cornwalled

Hello,

While in the local thrift store (looking for cheap work pants) I discovered an old Tandberg tape deck- TCD-310. They only wanted something like $4.00 for it. I checked it out and it lights up, but doesn't play the tape. Just rewinds and fast forwards. It looked like a quality unit- I checked on the net, they were made in 1974. Is this something that could be easily fixed? If so, I'll pick it up, could be a cool vintage piece for cheap.

I'll probably end up picking it up either way, since it's only a few bucks, just in case I can figure something out. I wonder if it's a bad motor, or belt or something? It appears to be solenoid engaged, because when you press the play button, the heads don't come up at all. Wonder if there's anyone that services older tape decks? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Well I picked the deck up, after taking a quick look at it, looks like the heads just need to be lubed- it's a solenoid action. Once I moved them back and forth a few times it took off. However it's got flutter to spare and I'm having a problem with mishandling of the tape occasionally. Motor maybe? It's got 3 motors, one for the capstans, one for the take up, one for supply.

The job continues...

-Jon