Need Help choosing Reciever for Synergy HT

QUiKSR20

Hello, All

Im a long time member but have been silent, just reading for a while now.

Heres my problem I have a Harman Kardon AVR-510 great receiver to an extent. I have had it for a few years and numorous times 1 of the channels have died and had to be repaired. Its broken again and I dont want to repair it yet again. Now its the center channel it has been extremely un reliable. I dont know if HK has improved so I have looked into a few alternatives.

Here is a list of the receivers I had in mind.

DENON 2105

NAD T743 ( dont know if i can afford but wanted to add )

MARANTZ SR4500

MARANTZ SR5500 ( more $$ but can afford as a refurb )

MARANTZ SR5400

HARMAN KARDON? ( dont know if i want to chance anymore )

Im really looking for some real advice & experiences.

Please help me choose. Feel free to add other suggestions at or around $500

Im looking for one that will sound nice and not too harsh with my Klipschs

My setup is listed in my sig.

I am quite happy with the Denon 2105 powering my RF-25, RC-25, RB-25 and BIC sub system in a 5.1 mode, sometimes with a pair of RB-15s thrown in the mix for 7.1. Nice clean power and sound. I have seen some horrific reviews of dakmart.com but I have nothing but good things to say about their immediate response to my questions via email, and that led me to buy the refurb Denon from them. It was about $460 to my door and works great. They also have a one-year warranty on the refurbs they sell. Shipping was immediate with no issues at all.

Thinkabout trying an outboard amp to run the dead channel. You will have to determine if the pre-out still works, but this could get you started in the direction of separates.

Guitar Center usually has the Crown 402XLS available for about $250. It has a fan that you may want to disconnect to eliminate the noise. It puts out over 250 watts at 8 ohms.

The Pioneer 1014TX or 1015TX also gets a vote from me.

Bill

PS: New sound formats are on the way, so now is not the best time to replace a receiver. High Def DVDs are the cause of the changes. There will be backward compatibility. B

Here is the page for accessories for the VSX-1014TX-K. Note that the service manual is the same as it's Elite VSX52TX. (A $1000 unit)

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=VSX%2D1014TX%2DK

Her is the link for the VSX-1014TX-K

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_130866598_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

A lot of receiver for low money.

----------------

On 3/18/2005 10:57:23 AM QUiKSR20 wrote:

I hear Yamaha and Klipsch sound bright. Anyone have any info on Marantz and Klipsch. My HK seemed to make a good match I just cant deal with the quality issues I had with it.

----------------

Yamaha USED to sound bright, their previous models, that is. Wouldn't say my RXV2400 sounds that way. IMHO Yamaha deserves your audition.

I have the Marantz SR4500 running with KG5.2, KG1, and KV3.

I am still getting to know this AVR but I am very pleased with its performance in our small living room. I had an old Sony srt1090 and it blows it away. It does have a limited number of inputs and you cannot costomize the display list of whats playing, but its a $400.00 amp its not going to have everything.

Over all I am happy with the choice I made for the money I spent.

Steve

I would love to get a seperate amp. But my HK receiver only does 5.1 and also I dont have the room for the extra equipment ( extra amp ). Im leaning towards a Marantz SR5500 This is going to my speaker setup in my apartment.

Do Marantz have a smooth sound or a harsher bright sound? Im also going to really look into that pioneer 1014 listed above!

A few more questions would you guys go with another HK and take a chance?

I was very happy with the sound when it worked.

Heres my final choices.

HK AVR 335

Marantz SR5500 ( #1 pick ) Didnt hear much input on Marantz Sound though with Klipsch

Denon AVR 2105 ( supposely sounds smooth )

Pioneer 1014TX Just a bunch of good reviews

I will have to agree with the Yamaha suggestion. The HTR-5760 is quite a receiver. Good power, low THD, numerous features, automatic speaker calibration, multi-zone, and very nifty "presence speaker" outputs.

I am probably biased because it is sitting in my bedroom right now, and I am sure the other receivers mentioned share a lot of the same specs, but it is worth considering!

The Pioneer 1014TX looks like a really good deal. Looking at the specs, It says "speaker size - yes" I guess it must set the subwoofer automatically to THX specification.

Has anyone ever bench tested this unit?

It is claimed to do:

110 W x 7 (20HZ - 20kHZ @ 8 ohm, 0.09% THD)

110 W x 2 (20HZ - 20kHZ @ 8 ohm, 0.09% THD)

The plan is to get the crown amp later, but I'd like some decent power to begin with anyway. I'm buying my HT system piece by piece, or a few pieces at a time and it may be some time before I buy the Crown amps. I was considering the Denon AVR 3805.

Check out UBID. I got a yamaha rxv 650 for 299.00 with factory warranty. My quartets sound a lot better than with my previous two receivers, a sony that I had when I bought the quartets and a yamaha rxv670. They usually have some refurb Denons which I almost bought but the price was to good to pass up on the yamaha. Right now theres a marantz sr 8400 you might want to check out if it's not too late.