Denon DVD 3910

jacksonbart

Was looking to see if anyone owns this unit and get their opinions after having spent some time with it. I am looking to upgrade and have spent some time listening to at the local audio store.

Right now I have a lower end Denon changer which does not have the DVD or HDMI output. I use a Samsung DVD player for movies and actually started using it for music as well (think it sounds better), it that up converts the picture and brought when I brought my DLP, check profile for detail.

I cant do a direct comparison in terms of picture but I did see the 3910 on a Samsung DLP in the store and it looks really very good.

I have looked at a few other brands such as Onkyo and Sony, but would like to use the Denon link, though not a 100% sold. I have read good reviews but would like to hear from someone who actually ownes one for more info. Looks great but may be worth to wait it out and go for something else.

Don't get it!!! Just kidding.

I bought a Denon 3910, mostly for music, and have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the 6 channel music sound on it and hate that I can't find more of that media. I bought the last DVD-A/SACD that I really "wanted" 2 months ago and nothing has come out since then. I then found myself buying obscure things to see if I would like them and at $16-$29 a pop it really hasn't been cost effective. The selection is not getting better.That being said, The media that I do like sounds INCREDIBLE!

The picture quality on it through component is good, but not markedly better than my Yammi c-920 5 disk changer (I have an older model Mitsubishi).

I got hooked on 6 channel music and decided to replace my Samsung 941 in the bedroom with the DVD 2910. Picture quality through the DVI to my samsung DLP is quite a bit better than the samsung 941 that I was using (in other words I didn't have to sit there for hours wondering if I could see a difference;-)

Since you own the 5803 I think the DVD-3910 would be the way to go. For SACD's you will still have to have the 6 annalog cables (denon link does not pass these signals), but DVD-A will pass through denon link. The AVS forum as a long Thread on it here :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=447795&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

I've had my 3910 for 4 or 5 months and really like it. I run HDMI from 3910 to Toshiba 52HMX94 DLP TV upconverted to 720p. I've had the TV for about 6 weeks so I've been going through my DVD collection rewatching everthing. Picture quality is outstanding.

Hi Rez music sounds great, I just wish there was more that I like to choose from. I was pleasently surprised how good CDs sound using analog outputs from the 3910.

Denon has really been on top of things with this machine, since I've had it they have sent me 2 firmware upgrade CDs to fix bugs that users have found. Neither bug effected my player the way I use it but I downloaded them anyway just to stay current.

I'm glad I bought it before Denon did the 200 dollar price increase plus my dealer always gives me at least 20% off everything, so it was definately worth it and I would do it again.

tkd - BTW nice pictures of your HT forum, very nice, must get killer bass from the two subs, but have a much better idea of what you were describing in your PM.

Thank for the response and the thread. I have really want to hear the Dark Side of the Moon in SACD. You can go to www.DTS.com and order DVD- A directly if you cant find them in retail, but I know there are many more SACDs out there, which I have not been able to really listen too. Part of my problem is my receiver and DVD changer is about 24 feet (cables length around the wall) from the DLP. So I used an optical cable to get digital sound to the receiver and HDMI to get the picture from the Samsung DVD player, which is in the TV stand, above the Comcast cable box. The other components are in a built in shelf (which has room for the 3910) and the shelf could not be closer given how the foundation was when we finished the room. I kind of like not seeing the lights, since the shelf is behind the seating position. Well I ordered a long HDMI cable from Bluejeans Cable today to solve that problem. Your right with the six cables to listen to SACD, which is another reason I was looking at the 3910 for the Brown Burr D/As, since the receiver has them its why I went with a cheaper alternative at first.

RickB

I noticed the price increased January, still after reading these two posts now I want it. I did the like the picture on the DLP at the store and I read about the up convert to 720P which is the native resolution of my DLP, believe my current Samsung player only does 520. I will see if I can get some in store credit to with it. Can't wait till ytr the Denon link as well.

Thank you for the responses

Jacksonbart, I have had mine for about 2 months. I really like it. The build quality is outstanding in my opinion. Very solid. I would buy it again. All of my use has been for watching movies, I have been dragging my heals getting DVD-A or SACD material. Looking forward to that soon.

Jacksonbart,

I had problems PMing so I sent you an e-mail. I also reread the post and got answers to some of the questions I asked you.

rplace: I see along with your real speakers you have a pair of KSB 3.1's. Those were my first home theater front speakers. After hearing them in my home I told my Salesman "These will be the last speakers I will ever own." He reminds me of that conversation every time I come in and buy more speakers... Maybe I need a 12 step program 9.gif