Do RF-7's need an amp?

Kaiser

I'm looking into buying RF-7's, then their corresponding suwoofer, surround, and center channel. The receiver I'm looking at is the Denon 3805. Is that a good way to go, or should I consider buying a less/more powerful receiver, and a pre-amp? I'm all confused.

Kaiser,

The Denon 3805 will drive the Reference 7 speaker package. Just set all speakers to small with an 80 Hz crossover to the sub.

If you want to take the RF7s to the next level, then an outboard amp is one possibility. DeanG's crossover modification is the other tweak to get better performance out of the RF-7s.

Do NOT worry about these tweaks. The Denon 3805 powering the RF-7s will sound very good until you are ready for changes.

Bill

Depending on your budget you may want to look into separate pre-amp and amp combination. Many members on this forum like the Rotel gear with the RF-7's. Do a search for RF-7's and review some of the threads for more information.

However, if budget is a concern that the Denon will work fine.

The 3802/03/05 all of which I owned need an amp.Then you must be able to tolerate it for music(which I could not).The Rotel 1056 or HK 630 would be a far better choice,my well informed opinion only.Carl was correct about HT,if you don't do music the Denons are very good with HT.

There are many amps available over a wide range of prices. Many folks have purchased Crown pro amps for very reasonable prices and been very happy. Carver Pro is another brand to take a look at.

In consumer gear, Outlaw, B&K and NAD would be reasonably priced brands to look at.

With an outboard amp, I would go with the 2805 and be happy. Since new sound formats are just around the corner, I cannot recommend an expensive receiver or processor.

Bill