New LaScalas are here

pauln

Congrats, Paul! I don't care if the pics are bad or not, it's the effort that counts, and the excitement of the new owner is sort of a contageous thing.

You'll most likely get to upgrading the xover after a while, although we can certainly understand your reluctance at this stage...

But no rush. If they were new, I would probably wait a few years too to see how I felt about it, until I got to the point where I would wonder what "else" they are capable of and reading what these guys have to say about their various "mods"...

Enjoy! You've made a good purchase.

DM2.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried PM and Email without sucess - the smilies on the edit page are causing a problem of some sort! Anyway, if a mental picture will do...

I got a flashlight and mirror out last night to take a look at the details.

The mid and tweeter connections to the network look like they are soldered onto the board (actually throught the board). It looks like there are holes in the board and the wires are bare ended and actually look like they penetrate throught the board where they are connected.

The connection of the leads to the tweeter is hard to see - it is on the forward part of the square back (hence the mirror). Even with the mirror I can only see from the side that the wire becomes bare ended and then changes color (green) as if it might have a sheath crimped to it for a screw/spade/lug connection (or it may be soldered directly - I cannot confirm). But, the connections to the mid driver are screws through lugs.

There are 10 leads to the network. The two tweeter leads come off the more forward center part of the board and are labled +T and -T on the board.

The eight leads on the back edge from left to right are labeled:

+LFIN -LFIN -W +W +M -M -HFIN +HFIN

All the 'IN ones lead to their corresponding two pairs of jumpered bi-wire connectors- these and the tweeter leads are what look like 14awg clear covered wire.

The W's pass to the bass bin through connectors exactly like the amp inputs to the bi-wire connections, and these are solid black covered wires with ends that look like they have plactic red and black socks (same kind as the mid driver leads). I suppose it is possible that the four connections (W and M)that use these "socks" where they attach to the network board might be some kind of push-on/pull-off connector. I'd have to be really convinced before I fooled with them to find out.

The M' go straight to the screws on the mid driver.

The network board itself is screwed to the bin with 6 screws around the corners and two sides, and two more near the center of the board, and the board is held off from the bin with 8 fat plastic isolation washers about 1/4 inch thick.

Hope this helps.

Paul Nussbaum