BW 20k $ Diamond Tweeters?

donnie

I auditioned these about 2 or 3 weeks ago with Tony. He has the 802N and wanted to hear the difference between these and the new 802D.

We took his Yamaha 500 wpc digital with us and had a goodly play. Frankly the differences appear to be fairly nominal - despite B&W's claims. In fact I am not altogether sure I prefer the new ones over the older ones - although obvously with so many variables in play (room, source etc.) it is difficult to really tell without taking them to his house.

Overll his conclusion was that it was certainly not worth upgrading - the hit he would take on his would be enormous (50%) and the asking price here is 13000 euros. That would mean coughing up another 8000 for him.

I understand B&W will still be selling the older 802N version. Frankly if I were ever to go for B&W these would still be the ones I would go for as the price difference is just too big to justify the new versions.

That's funny that this post comes up now... I was actually in the market for a pair of 802N, when I started reading up on the new Diamond series. Apparently, (and this was told to me by Pakistan's agent for B&W) the Nautilus line has been put out of production and they will not be selling them anymore.

As it turns out, a store here has a pair of the 802 Nautilus that I'm trying to take off his hands dirt cheap.

Wish me luck.

-F

awww c'mon Max, let me be a little proud....you know how excited you are about your new TT? I'm still that excited about these speakers 18 months in....absolutley love them.

I heard the new ones, but not in my room. Even so, as you said, to my ears any differences were very subtle so I'll be sticking with my "old" N802's...

The knock on the B&W aluminum dome tweeter is that their resonant frequency is low enough that there is an audible rise in the top octave response, i.e. a hot upper treble. With my 48 year-old ears and their roll-off over 12,500Hz, I'm not sure but what that rising top end is a good thing. Still, my 703's sound best with the top couple of octaves knocked down a decibel or two.

Arthurs,

Yup - be proud - they are damn fine speakers with arguably the best bass to be found this side of silly money ($25K plus).

What are you driving them with anyway?

JDM,

I think the 703 won the TAS mid priced speaker of the year award - a good indication of their quality but I am yet to hear them.

I wonder where my hearing rolls off these days?

Drive mine with Sunfire Signature Series II Stereo Amp. 625x2 and I naturally bi-wire using the voltage output to the low end and the current outputs (has a 1 ohm impedance) to the high end. The Sunfire has the power they crave, a smooth top end, and runs very cool as a bonus.

----------------

On 3/21/2005 3:02:22 AM maxg wrote:

JDM,

I think the 703 won the TAS mid priced speaker of the year award - a good indication of their quality but I am yet to hear them.

I wonder where my hearing rolls off these days?

----------------

That's cool, if the 703 got an award. The 705 also won some kind of award in Europe - I forget the organization it was from and the exact name of the award.

The 700 series in general is a good value, imo. I felt the 703 was extremely close to the 804 and 803 in performance, for a lot less money. I didn't audition anything above the 803 for fear they would sound so good that I might be less content with my 703's. (Yes, that was me sticking my head in the sand!) Besides, any new B&W's above the 803's are hopelessly out of my reach, price-wise.

As for middle-aged hearing loss, I don't know what is typical. I have been exposed to probably more loud noise than average, so mine is probably worse than most. It hasn't hurt my love of music, though. I bet most people would be surprised at how limited their high-frequency hearing is, by the time they are in their forties.