Spiking Belle Klipsch?

Well I have just made the deal of a lifetime. This one even tops the Forte II's I picked up for $250 which ended up being in excellent condition. My dad's friend (my godfather) is GIVING me a pair of walnut Belle Klipsch!!! I'm really excited to finially own a pair of my own after growing up listening to my dad's. My question is, has anyone tried spiking their Belle's??? If so, was there any distinguishable difference? I was very impressed with the difference spiking made with my Forte's, but I know the Belle is a totally different beast.

First of all, congrats. I own a similar pair of Belles, and you will love having your own. I have never heard of anyone spiking their Belle Klipsch. Perhaps part of the reason is the different sound of horn-loaded bass, much tighter-sounding (in my opinion) and the way that the sound disperses.

Maybe someone will weigh in that has spiked a big heritage, but I cannot see that it would make a difference. Post your impressions after you have had a chance to run them in your system.

Carl.

Congrats on getting the Belles!

I have tried spiking various speakers in the past. It is doubtful that you will get much of a difference. The weight and footprint of the Belles will ensure a stable position (i.e., They won't rock around and produce some sort of Doppler shift).

If the cabinet was tall and narrow or on a speaker stand, or on thick carpeting then spiking might help. When spiking into a wooden floor, sometimes energy will be coupled into floor itself and that vibration can produce an "in the seat of your pants" sensation. Which may or may not enhance the listener's experience.

Enjoy the Belles, you're in for some fun!

-Tom

I picked up the Belles this weekend and don't have the stands on the bottom. One was damaged in a move so both were removed and some rubber feet were put on the cover for the bass compartment for them to rest on. Since the footprint of the cover is so small, I think I will probably go ahead and spike them given this scenerio. I will do an A/B comparison with the spikes and let everyone know my results even though they may not be typical since my non-spiked speaker will be resting on the small cover.

BTW...these speakers will be going on thick carpet over a concrete floor. Thanks everyone!