LA SCALA HELP PLEASE!!

jeffgeorge

How do I tell for sure if my woofer is blown on my LS's? I get sound from the tweeter and midrange, but none from the woofer. I want to make sure it is not a network issue before I tear into the bottom of this baby. I have an AL network, I looked at all the connections and everything looks OK there.

If it is the woofer... how do I go about removing and putting back together?

Thanks in advance.

One thing which would help to know is whether the woofer has been recently challenged with high levels. If so, it is more likely you've got a woofer and not connection or crossover issue.

One thing you can do is to test the woofer with a battery before investigating the innards.

Disconnect the pair of wire which goes from the output of the crossover to the woofer. Make note of what is connected to what so you can put it back together properly.

Then get a 9-volt or even 1.5 volt flashlight battery and connect it to the leads with your fingers.

If there is no problem with the woofer or the connections inside the dog house (where the woofer lives - I love the double entendre, the structure looks like a dog house) you will hear some scratching and thumping from the woofer (more double entendre).

If there is no reaction, there is a good chance you've got a burnt out woofer.

Then you'll have to unscrew the bottom hatch and look closely at the connections there. I'll let others give further advice on what to do because I haven't done that work myself.

Best,

Gil

You can get a new K33 from Bob Crites or Klipsch for at or near $130'ish. You know Klipsch will sell the proper device and I bought one from Bob. You might check with him, I know he is trying to learn to re-cone them and maybe he can give you a discount using yours as a trade in. That obviously is between you and Bob to work out.