Brackets for flush mounting K-77

Deang

----------------

On 3/29/2005 8:45:21 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

and...what did you think??

----------------

I installed the Z-brackets in 1991 so its been along time. I've just rewired the Khorns so thats why I had this picture.

The Z-bracket mounting is a subtle difference IMO.

The reason I installed the Z-brackets in the Khorn goes back to when I heard the difference between Lascala that I owned orginally and then replaced them with Belles(which had the

Z-brackets mounted tweeters)(K77M Tweeters where in both). I felt that there was just a little better clarity in the tweeter frequency range on the Belle compared to the Lascala. So when I bought the Khorns Klipsch had started mounting the Khorn Tweeter with the Z-brackets and being the type I am I wanted to do any improvements to mine I could.

For those with Khorns or Belles:

I Figured out a way to use my router to open up the tweeter opening without removing the Grille Cloth by taking the Squawker/Tweeter baffle out and then I removed the Squawker Horn and Tweeter from the baffle. I then made a Protective spacer(to push the grille cloth away from the baffle) from alluminum flashing and putting tape around the edges of the flashing so as not to harm the grille cloth I slide this spacer between the baffle and grille cloth through the Squawker Opening up to the Tweeter opening to protect the grille cloth from the router.(Make sure you space the Alluminum Flashing away from the Baffle enough to clear the Router Bit or what ever cutting tool you choose to use). I then made a guide of the correct(Kind of Like a Picture Frame) size for the new opening and centered it over the orginal opening and slowly kept cutting deeper till I had the opening enlarged. Simple Huh!

Any way it can be done without removing the grille cloth but I wouldn't recommend it for your first wood working project though.

mike1.gif

Guys,

Help me out here. Is the purpose of this so that you can flush mount the K77 to the front. By the above picture, it looks as if it onlu placed the tweeter 1/4 inch forward.

It doesn't look like it would help you install from the front either. Looks like it changed the width of the motorboard opening bu not the height. The magnet on that tweeter isn't a problem like mine.

jc

01010064.jpg

post-16499-13819263697436_thumb.jpg

Called Klipsch today to inquire about the z- bracket. The said they don't sell the bracket w/o the purchase of a K-77-F. I was transfered to tech support and they said the same thing.

jc

If you have to make a larger cutout in order to fit the Z bracket, then still contend with the problem of sealing the opening (in the case of Cornwall or Heresy), why not just saw or route the sides of the opening at 45 degree angle and leave the tweeter mounted to the back of the baffle? This would at least partially eliminate the edge diffraction in the critical horizontal plane without minimal modification.

In the case of moving the tweeter to a front mount style, does magnet dissassembly move the diaphram in the voice coil gap? If so, this is something that might be problematic.

Michael