Want your opinions please

merkin

I'm ready to get a sub for my HT.

Here's what I have; Forte II's front and rear, academy center.

Sony DA555ES (100 watt/ch)

Room: T shaped with the fronts and TV at bottom of T. viewing area opening into the top off T with rears at the top. Viewing area 13 wide 20 deep. Ceiling 7 foot 1/2 by tv drywall other 1/2 acustic tile. all carpet walls drywall top of T 35 feet long.

Listening 50/50 would really like a little more punch with music and also like the theater feel with the movie and the volume up. I don't need to remove the mortar from my foundation.

I've been watching to snag a RSW 12 or 15 on E-bay(usually out of my price range of 500 to 800) Could stretch price for a real deal. Can you trust buying used for subs? I have bought used speakers and haven't had any problems.

I also looked at SVS PC 20-39 both plain and plus and a PB 12 box. I think I would like the looks of a box better. I've even considered the Dayton DIY 15 (Muege) but is it musical enough and would it overpower my fortes. Is the RSW 15 too large? Can a sub be too LARGE? What does Velodyne have around this application. The LF10 are they still around? Do you think a RW 12 would work for me or would I just want to upgrade?

All responses will be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Well I don't think the RSW-15 would be too large. Those ForteII's dig pretty deep by themselves, I have a pair myself. Wouldn't it be a waste of money to buy a sub that rolls off at about the same place they do?

I'm not saying it can't be done, but at a limit of $800 the RSW-15 would be hard to find even used. But the SVS 20-39 does go deep and is about the right price. The HSU VTF3II might be another possibility for your price range. The other option is the Dayton 15". Get in touch with Meuge and see what he has to say about it.

----------------

On 3/26/2005 7:38:34 PM merkin wrote:

Thanks steeler fan. I was looking for some other brands that might be in the same ball park. I'll check it out.

----------------

Only snag is there aren't really many other brands in the ball park with that bang/buck. You can't have "too much" subwoofer. At 100w/ch your existing speaks are very capable and would need a capable sub. Properly calibrated with your Fortes, it'll have to be a little more powerful than you may think (especially if you want both worlds: movies and music). I can't comment on the musicality of the titanics, but the Klipsch, SVS and Velodyne subs all have good offerings that could satisfy your 50/50.

I think you'd be disappointed with an RW-12 knowing your existing components. I'd have to go RSW minimum. Also, an SVS PB12-isd or isd/2 (at $600-900) fall close within your limits. I'm more a fan of the SVS's but many love the sound of the RSW's punchiness with music. You'll get greater extension and deep impact with the SVS products and better musical punch with the Klipsch line. They both sound unique (relatively) and you'd have to decide for yourself.

merkin, the titanic mk3 is definetly musical enough. I think the choice would be between depth or "musical punch"(as already said by CAS). I think SVS offerings no doubt will win with depth, the titanic offers decent depth and good musical punch, and the rsw would be similar to the titanic(but i havent done a side by side comparision. one member on here said he thought his titanic and the rsw15 sounded VERY similar.). no matter which sub you choose, any one of them will put a big smile on your face9.gif

good luck

scp53

I just happen to have a SVS CS-Ultra and a Earthquake Supernova MKV-15. I also had a Sunfire Signature sub, Velodyne HGS-18, Earthquake Supernova MKIV-12, HSU, M&K and few others but I will concentrate on the SVS and Earthquake Supernova MKV-15 since these are both superior to the others IMO.

The SVS CS-Ultra and Earthquake Supernova MKV-15 are both excellent subs but different. I have never taken out my spl meter to measure what I hear but these are my impressions. The Earthquake seams to play louder than the SVS in the 40hz and up area but the SVS really puts out spls in the subsonic region that you feel. I actually started out with (2) SVS CS-Ultra's but pictures actually started falling off the wall and some rooms in the house shaked violently. The Earthquake shakes things up as well but you can hear more of the bass than the SVS.

For music I prefer the SVS to come into the mix at about 60hz as it can be a little loose any higher. The Earthquake is a little better for music and can be crossed over at a higher freq. Neither is going to outperform a Vandersteen or Rel with music but with proper set-up they can come pretty close. For home theater though they will both blow each of those music subs out of the water.

I spoke with Eric over at SVS and he told me the PB12-Plus/2 actually plays a couple of dbs louder than my CS-Ultra. At about $1,300 shipped it would be in the same price class as an Earthquake Supernova MKV-15 through ebay.

These are the 2 best subs I have tried so far and I don't think they would ever have you wanting for more. The price of both are more than your looking to spend but it will be well worth it.

I still like stereo subs but that can get pretty pricey. SVS and Earthquake both make great subs and I think you will be happy with either one.

Good luck!

Merkin, one concern you had in your original post was about reliability or problems buying a used sub. The SVS subs warranty goes with the sub and not just to the original purchaser. Just call them up with the serial number off the sub.

Thanks for all the post.

CAS you make a good point about the RSW rolling off at about the same point as my forte II's. I also think I've ruled out the RW 12.

Mjaudio-- Do you own a stereo store or a sub factory? That's a lot of subs to have been through.

Wangdang- Is the HSU sold through dealers or is it a direct purchase like the SVS

I'm taking a good look at the SVS ling but I want to go to the local stereo shop and take a listen of the velodynes before I decide.

Thanks again Keith