The ultimate upgrade (for high mass vinyl setups)?

maxg

OK, this time I actually read the thread before posting. This has caused me to have some great ideas. I will share them now.

Before this device came along, I'll bet a few "money-is-no-object" vinyl enthusiasts bought truckloads of spare platters (and 2 copies of their albums), gluing the discs to the platters. Talk about contact! Alternately, how about gluing two albums together, forming a thicker disc, less likely to warp? Or, "they" could make records out of the magnetic sign material you see on people's trucks, and use steel platters. Oops, that might play Hell with the magnet in the cartridge (strike that idea).

If heating the disc works, how about modifying a microwave oven (hey, they already have turntables in there!) to play LPs?

----------------

On 3/26/2005 8:11:44 PM ben. wrote:

At the time (and without my knowledge), borderline 5U4Gs were causing the amps to run a bit hot. After a time, the Scout would feel warm to the touch. I knew this was not optimal for TT setup minutae, but I had other plans in the works, so I didn't sweat it too much. Anyhow, a few hours later, I began to remove the LP from the platter, and when I did, I noticed it was much improved. On a whim, I left it on overnight, and the LP is now nearly warp-free, at least in average condition for a mass-market 1980 release.

----------------

Are you sure it wasn't the vacuum in the tubes "sucking" the LP down onto the platter?

I hope that is not a critisism Tony - of high $$ payback systems!!

Anyway - just to set the record straight - the clamp and underlying ring is the princely sum of 830 Euros - or about $1000 at retail.

Ludicrous price for what it is - but it does its job and there really wasnt any other obvious alternative. At least I dont expect it to break down anytime soon.

I liked some of Fini's ideas - but storage of these "glued to the platter" records might be a problem.

And yes there are platters that suck....but this is a good thing.

Max,

The link Ben posted has an alternative ring available for sale. The VPI ring clamp runs $499. The one pictured below is supposed to be $350. I will be investigating further, and already have a reply from the site.

vpijmw9zyxfujib.jpg

I'll need to check it out in more depth to compare it with the VPI offering, but it's at least an alternative, selling at a substantial savings to the VPI and Clearaudio offerings. The one review of the ring clamp seemed to indicate some hokie pokie way of requiring use of an alignment jig, and I don't think VPI or Clearaudio require such an aid. Tim(nodisc) had previously posted a photo of the VPI clamp with the Scoutmaster upgrade.

Klipsch out.

Yes that does look to be an interesting alternative - and one that is comparitively cheap. The alignment jig is also offered by Clearaudio for other tables as a means of centering the thing properly - although they call it the spider.

I also remembered that someone else had tried a ring out on this site but cound not remember who - thanks for reminding me!

If the maker of the ring happens to be the maker of your table, whatever it is, that is probably an advantage as I am sure, just like Clearaudio, they have figured out a quick and easy way to use the thing.

I should also point out that this really is an upgrade only for high mass designed tables. Suspended tables are very unlikely to be able to cope with the additional weight without some serious re-arrangement of the suspension.