opinions wanted, tube or mac ss???????

----------------

On 4/6/2005 10:49:51 PM 126mhz wrote:

Scott products or for that matter a Dynaco ST70 that has had caps. replaced so that there is little or no "Hum" at all is very difficult to beat. These guys had it so right all those years ago that I can't see any reason to use solid state gear with such sensitive/efficient speakers.

If you had a more difficult speaker to drive I could see going solid state.

----------------

Man, you are totally right. They got it right... As long as you have reasonable speakers, you can put that Dyanco up against just about anything being built now.

The perfect amp would be a Dynaco 70 with 250 watts, plenty of bass and power to drive less efficient speakers. Actually, I think some VTLs might match that description, but I have never compared the two side by side.

Hello,

Just wondering if you could shed some light on the EQ mentioned in your profile. I've always enjoyed using EQ's on my less expensive systems I had as a teenager, like a 1981, 45 watt Pioneer reciever and a 5 band cheap EQ, with cheap Cerwin Vega speakers. Most people don't run EQ's from the profile's I've seen. Thanks.

----------------

On 4/7/2005 5:55:57 PM mustang1 wrote:

Hello,

Just wondering if you could shed some light on the EQ mentioned in your profile. I've always enjoyed using EQ's on my less expensive systems I had as a teenager, like a 1981, 45 watt Pioneer reciever and a 5 band cheap EQ, with cheap Cerwin Vega speakers. Most people don't run EQ's from the profile's I've seen. Thanks.

----------------

the eq works fine but it does put some noise in the line, i will probably sell it after i get my dynaco mark 3 mono amps back from craig, it serves a purpose, but i am far from an expert, this is one of the better eq that are available for around 100 used and if you can find one with the manual and mic it aids with setting up the room via pink noise, 10.gif Joe

Hi,

If you are into McIntosh, a pair of MC30 power amps would sound fantastic through your Klipsch speakers. The Mcintosh amps use a unity coupled design that just plain has fantastic highs while retaining solid bass and crystal clear mids. I have rebuilt many McIntosh amps and preamps and I can tell you that if I had the money for a McIntosh system, I would personally own one. Ok, if tube McIntosh equipment is a little too expencive for you, a fully restored Dynaco ST70 will have enough oomph to drive those Heresys to reasonably listening levels without sounding strained. I own an ST70 in stock form that I have totally reconditioned and it sounds quite nice. Dynaco amps and preamps really respond to different types of coupling capacitors. The ST70 and their Mark series of mono power amps are well worth having coupling capacitors like Auricaps or Musicaps installed.

The thing with an ST70 or any other Dynaco amp is that you need it refurbished by someone who really likes Dynaco equipment. I own thre PAS2's, two FM3's and an ST70. They are reliable, and sound good. I have rebuilt countless Dynaco Mark II, III, and IV as well as ST70 and 35 power amps and to me, they just sing.

My test rig in my shop uses a blond cabinet Dynaco PAS2 I have refurbished using all matched 2% resistors and Auricap capacitors. This thing really sings. It drives a pair of my own design power amps using a pair of EL34's in push pull ultralinear. Power is similar to the ST70. A PAS preamp and Dynaco ST70 can make for a real fine system when powering

a pair of efficient speakers like Klipsch. Don't sell Dynaco short.

With respect to McIntosh, I think you will like their tube audio better then their solid state audio driving horn type speakers.

Bill B.

Hey!

I'm shipping my stock Blonde Cab PAS2(4 Telefunken ecc83/12x7) and ST-70 to Bill today!! I get an awesome VIBE from Bill! I really am psyched to give a properly working st70/pas2 combo some listening time!!

I'll give my humble opinion when I get them back!

16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif