Article: Horn Theory and the Phonograph

WMcD

Just below is an article which includes discussion of horn design and issues which arose when very large horns were built . . . a long time ago.

The article is written with very dry British tones. It is difficult to decide whether to politely murmer a "tut-tut, old chap", or laugh out loud upon the recognition that history, including "distaff issues" repeats itself.

Best,

Gil

I thought there would be more traffic on this article.

The theoretical side questions the plane wavefront versus curved wavefront issue. The latter keeps the wavefront perpendicular to the sides of the horn at the wavefront edges.

I'm still wondering how a reflected signal from the mouth travels back into the horn when the curved wavefront is contemplated. Going backwards, into the horn, this doesn't seem to work.

The article shifts to extravigant bass horns and issue which arose from overblown engineering projects. A bass horn is the size of a roof and coated with pitch (tar . . . for the same purpose as the Moretite damping damping). But it melts in the summer sun.

Then the owner realizes that having the sound come out of the ceiling is not so good for listening, and installs couches for listeners.

Gosh, you think ours is the first generation with the lunitic fringe for bass horns. Our forebearers were far more accomplished. Bow down, wave arms, and chant, "We are not worthy, we are not worthy."

Smile,

Gil

Great reading! Thank you Gil. I find it interesting that in my reading of old 1960s HiFi Stereo review articles and in this article, one reads of figures, theories, and facts; whereas in current Stereophile, Absolute Sound, one reads an endless barrage of adjectives, metaphors, and other such hyperbola when reading about "the lastest" new speakers.

make you whonder how far we've come. 2.gif

• 1 month later...

Excellent! My dad has a 1960s "hifi news" booklet called'5 speakers' Shows you how to build transmission lines out of pipes,coffin style tlines,corner based tlines,and in-wall stereo basshorns ! They used concrete to for the shape,its a 2way system from memory Measurements pretty much involved impedence graph measurements,and sinewave input to listen for subjectivecutoff :-)

One of them is referred to in this article 'paraline'

'Analyis of the effects of nonlienar elements upon the performance of a back enclosed,direct radiator loudspeaker mechanism JAES vol 10 pp156-162'

Hey that looks interesting I wonder if its in the loudspeaker anthology or Olsen acoustics??

Mike.e