My Vertical Cornwall Project

After sitting on some parts for months and months I finally have time to devote to this. I finally finished my workbench this weekend. I am building a vert cornwall enclosure out of 3/4" mdf. I already have the woofer, mid horn, and b3 crossover thanks to colterphoto. I'm looking for the k-77, which seem to have dried up on ebay. This is probably going to take me another 2 months to actually finish this bit by bit but I have some questions right off the bat.

1) I have the cornwall drawings posted in the "let's make a cornwall" thread. Are there any changes for a vertical cornwall other than moving the woofer and horns around on the front baffle? Is there a vert cornwall owner who could give me measurements as to the locations of everything on the front baffle?

2) Can someone recommend a good binding post part? I want something gold plated that accepts bannana plugs. I couldn't find anything on parts express. Should I just call Klipsch and order a binding post thing?

More questions to follow, and I will include pics soon enough. I plan on building the enclosure before the Indy trip this year and taking it down to see how it sounds to everyone. Once its all done, mahogany veneer and wood lacquer.

Here's the closest I can get without taking the rear off of my oldie(by feeling the impressions in the front grille).

My vertical Cornwall cabinet is 34 1/4 inches x 23 3/4 inches. My high and mid-horns are on the left side and the woofer is on the right side.

Starting from the top left, the tweeter horn is about 1 3/4 inches from the top and 2 1/2 inches from the left side. The mid horn is two inches below the tweeter horn and three inches from the left side. Measuring from the right side, the woofer is 6 1/2 inches from the right side and three inches from the bottom.

At the moment, these measurements are pretty close and the best I could do without pulling my back off. If you can wait until later this week, I can pull the back off and confirm exactly.

Carl.

----------------

On 4/4/2005 2:36:34 PM damonrpayne wrote:

I found a binding terminal from Madisound that I like. Anyone help with the measurements for horn/woofer locations?

----------------

i have removable vertical cornwall grills made out of 3/16 masonite. one covered in duracrest #17 black and one covered in the new cane from wendell fabrics. i took the motor board out of my 74 verticals to use as a template. i also have regular cornwalls grills made the same as above plus i have some made for the heresy . i posted a picture today under Cornwall Grills

----------------

On 4/4/2005 7:53:15 PM Budman wrote:

----------------

On 4/4/2005 2:36:34 PM damonrpayne wrote:

I found a binding terminal from Madisound that I like. Anyone help with the measurements for horn/woofer locations?

----------------

i have removable vertical cornwall grills made out of 3/16 masonite. one covered in duracrest #17 black and one covered in the new cane from wendell fabrics. i took the motor board out of my 74 verticals to use as a template. i also have regular cornwalls grills made the same as above plus i have some made for the heresy .

----------------

Russ, I still intend on picking up from you - at the very least, the masonite frame. It will probably be another couple of weeks since I now have money tied up with vacation and medical expenses. Who knows, if my toddler ravages my stash of Duracrest 17, I may be coming to you for the whole grille.

Carl.

Damon, I pulled the rear of my '60s vert early this morning and measured from the inside. My earlier measurements (from the outside front) were very close.

Again, my Vert. is configured with the tweeter and mid horn on the upper left of the cabinet (as the cabinet is laying down) and the woofer on the right (and the ports on the far right). Starting from the left, the tweeter horn is 1 5/8 inches from the left side, on the motherboard, to the inner bracing and molding of the cabinet, which comprises another 1 1/2 inches to the outside edge of the cabinet. So, the tweeter horn is a total of 3 1/8 inches from the left outside of the cabinet. The tweeter horn is also 1 1/4 inches from the top internal bracing and support, which comprise another 1 1/2 inches to the edge of the cabinet. So...the tweeter horn is a total of 2 3/4 inches down from the top outside edge of the cabinet.

The squawk is 3/4 inch directly below the tweeter horn, running parallel, with one exception. My squawker starts 3/16 closer to the left edge of the cabinet (as opposed to tweeter horn).

From the right side, the woofer is a total of 6 1/2 inches from the right outside edge of the speaker, including the internal bracing. The woofer is 2 3/8 inches from the bottom edge of the cabinet, which includes 1 7/8 inches of bracing and molding inside and 1/2 inch - above the bracing and molding.

If you have any other questions or need other measurements, pm me.

Carl.

Damon, there should be a set of vertical dimensioins on the 'lets build a cornwall' thread. I recall taking the best measurements I could through the grill cloth of my 1963's. They might look like grille cutout measurement's but they're close. Go my your actual horns, but at least this would give you the positions. Remember that they are mirror images, so you could build your vertical either way. On mine, the crossover sits in the unused portion of the motor board, not the side panel as on standard Corns.

Michael

Damon, i have vertical grill boards made out of 3/16 masonite that i made off of my 74 vertical motorboard. let me know when you are ready to do this and i will send you one to get you thru this without any measurements. just trace it and cut it.