A new receiver for us few Yamaha fans

BobbyT

I think when I put my new system together this summer the Pioneer 56Txi just got knocked out of the running. I was looking at the Pioneer because I wanted i link and nothing was available from Yamaha except the Z9. But now there is1.gif. Looks like it will be a 4600 with a 59Avi and 2 RF7s.

Michael I agree, I was not an avid fan of a Klipsch Yamaha match in the 80s it was a very harsh combo back then. But the newer stuff seems to have put that issue well into the past. After getting my RX-V3300 I have been genuinely impressed. Their DSP's are very good and for a receiver it does an adequate job for 2 channel listening. Granted I would prefer to have a nice McIntosh rig but I seem to be lacking disposable cash to do so, even then I would be apt to get the amp(s) first and use the Yamaha as the per/pro. The new unit looks pretty nice. And ~ $1900ish seems to be a fairly reasonable price given what it offers.

I for one am not going to bash Yamaha. J.4knee may be right that with the RXV 3300 they made improvements. I owned 3 Yamaha receivers (RXV-793/795/800), before I switched to Denon.

Regardless of Johnnyholidays observations, There are probably more of us that switched FROM Yamaha, than TO Yamaha. I also feel with the Klipsch alliance that Yamaha will work out (if they haven't already) the observations that so many of us made on a sonic level, before switching.

BTW Johnny, nothing wrong with loving your Yammi 7.1, but Denon and HK make fine receivers.

I don't practice knocking anyones receiver preference.

What might sound great to me doesn't mean that everyone will agree. I have recently been to a friends house who also had a Yamaha receiver (he purchased it used)...it sounded pretty bad to me, but I think it was the way he "tuned" it up for his ears. He was impressed with his set-up...so I greed. It sounded good to him and that is all that mattered.

The "bright" vs "warm" debate is useless. Maybe we should debate which of us can hear better?? 9.gif

Anyway, most of the "popular" receivers are well built and properly set-up, offer good sound regardless.

Take care all~

Mike

I'm one of the very few that switched TO Yamaha. Which has to do with why I'm excited about the new 4600. I'll be getting one this summer. But I also agree that Pioneer, Denon, and HK also make excellent receivers. There is something good for everyone.

Hey BobbyT,

I am curious; What did you upgrade from to Yamaha? Here recently you were looking at Pioneer and B&K. I see in a previous post from last year you were looking at Krell and B&k--you surely didn't go from one of those to Yamaha, did you?6.gif {edit:What is the difference between "THX Ultra 2" and "THX Select 2?"}

don't put words in my mouth, all i pointed out was they make other musical products, other amps i love ,gibson les paul combo most popular amp of the 50s the perfect complement to any les paul guitar,fender '57 twin, one of the most collectable amps of all times, great for vintage rock blues an country,fender blues junior, fender '59 tweed bassman originaly built for bass -until guitarist discovered it's rich tone,fender '65 deluxe reverb ,fat snappy from memphis to abby road,fender '65 twin reverb classic surf blues an rock tone,marshall 59 slpx head "plexi" built for pete townshend an popularized by clapton, page an hendrix ,roland jc-120 jass chorus super clean pristine sound,marshall jcm800 evolving from the 60's plexi,marhall tsl super lead head, mesa boogie triple rectifier , mesa boogie stiletto deuce,crate blue voodoo bv150hb,mesa boogie lonestar,marshall mode four mf350 head,vox ac30 top boost,vox ac15,soldano slo-100 high gain,an last but not least , dumble overdrive special "boutique od";an guess what they all sound different, thank god an i LOVE em all ,to close your ears because of one name brand or another is foolish ,oh ya an it's johnyholiday with 1 n

Sorry johnyholiday with 1 "n." My mistake (edit) I don't know about others but I didn't put words in your mouth. You said:

----------------

On 4/9/2005 5:54:07 AM johnyholiday wrote:

i love my Yamaha 7.1 you can dial it in ,like their other fine musical instruments ,seen elton john playen a dennon piano lately or a drummer beaten a HK drum, an they made, an make one heck of a good guitar an on an on

----------------

Some would take your meaning that Yamaha was better at making receivers than Denon and HK. I don't understand what your latest post has to do with HT receivers--But no hard feelings.2.gif

----------------

On 4/9/2005 1:17:23 PM tkdamerica wrote:

Hey BobbyT,

I am curious; What did you upgrade from to Yamaha? Here recently you were looking at Pioneer and B&K. I see in a previous post from last year you were looking at Krell and B&k--you surely didn't go from one of those to Yamaha, did you?
6.gif
{edit:What is the difference between "THX Ultra 2" and "THX Select 2?"}

----------------

I've been narrowing down system choices for 2 years like I was saying in my most recent thread. I was originally looking at B&K and Krell seperates with RF7s. But I've since regained interest in cars so some of my system budget has gone into wheels, tires, suspension, and exhaust parts that I installed on my car. The loss of the extra money from the budget brought me from seperates to mid range receivers. I can live with the comprimise since I have 2 decently costly hobbies going at the same time. I was looking at the Pioneer 56Txi because I wanted i link and Yamaha's only offering was the Z9. Now that they will have a receiver in my budget range I will stay with Yamaha.

Waiting so long has been a mixed blessing. I shot some of my budget on car parts. But I've discovered that I can be perfectly happy with a good mid range receiver paired with some of the best speakers ever made, RF7s.

As far as what I switched from. Well TDK you've beeen very helpful to me in my system thread so I hate to tell you this. But I switched from a Denon 3802 to Yamaha. To me the new Yamahas have a smoothness to the sound with music that I didn't hear with the 3802. Coupled with how well the Yamaha performs with movies I decided to stay with the Yammie. But I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend Denon.

I don't know a lot about the different thx ratings but I think ultra II is the highest. And using the i link thx ultra II processing can be used on multi channel music from SACD and DVDA to send music to the back surrounds in a 7.1 system

Sorry for the long winded post.1.gif

I am glad I was some help.1.gif

Maybe MikeKidd was right about there not being much difference in receivers nowadays. I am just anal enough to A/B test a few for my own personal satisfaction. 11.gif

The reason I asked about the "THX Ultra 2" vs. "THX Select 2," is because that link you provided says that the Yammi was the latter. I went to THX web site and couldn't find the info on the difference.

{edit: BTW it doesn't hurt my feelings that you like Yamaha--They make good products}

Cool.

It's good to be anal about receiver choices. You are certain to get exactly what you like best. And I really like my Denon.

I guess I'm anal like you cause only 2 things on the Yammie really edged out the Denon. And they are not major. 1rst like I said, I thought the new Yammie had a little smoother sound in my room. And 2nd, when enhanced surround on the Yammie is applied over the DD or DTS track the sound is fuller and draws you in more. I guess that's the best way to put it. I'm not really sure how to put it into words. But one of Yamahas specialities is DSPs and surround processing.

I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend Denon over Yamaha to someone. Both are excellent products. And as you realize, I'm not stuck on one brand. Right now I'm planning on the 4600. But when I do my final listening I may find something I like a little better in a Denon or Pioneer.

Some would take your meaning that Yamaha was better at making receivers than Denon and HK ; there you go again, the point is a great deal of mystery an myth surrounds the subject of amplification,quite simply it is a method of boosting an electrical signal before feeding it, into the loudspeaker which converts it into sound ,tube amplification began on june 13, 1911 when Lee de Forest,a physicist was granted a U.S. patent on his "Thermionic Vacum Tube" design for amplifying radio-frequency circuits , soon after, various tube manufactures published manuals full of free amplification schematics to encourage production one of these the RCA Tube Manual fell into the hands of radio repairman Clarence Leo Fender an the rest is history; in guitar land, some fifty years later, the amp is still being develop an refined to find a distinctive voice from tubes to transistors to hightech amp modeling , no amp across brands ,or same brands will sound the same ,guitar or HT,sag ,bloom ,jangle ,all terms to discribe such events that effect the sound, is it the electronics, or the birch cab, or the drivers in a vox ac30, that make it jangle, or all of them together, don't know, don't care, an i wouldn't rope caulk it, to get rid of it,a person needs to make an informed decisions as you develop a sound that is uniquely your owen, an for me hk drums suck, an dennon pianos suck2.gif