Choral background singers (??)

Coytee

Foreigner has a song "I want to know what love is". I presume everyone knows it. That said, when the background singers come in they have a very rich/full sound that I've always liked the style of.

I've never known what that style is called, or does it even have a name?

as I recall the video, it was sung by a black choir?? I saw Foreigner probably 2 summers ago with Bad Company. When they did this song, they had a local singing group come in and do that part which I though sounded pretty nice.

As an aside, we went specifically to see Bad Company (Merchants of Cool tour) and Foreigner was an oldie but goodie to see too... Foreigner stole the show!!! they blew Bad Co out as far as I was concerned. We almost left but decided to stay since tickets were paid for and had a REAL treat with foreigner.

Anyway...Is it just a choral backup?

Any other pieces of music that have that kind of full rich background (or main vocal) that you can recommend?

"My Father's Eyes" (Eric Clapton) has an appealing female chorus in the background. You're correct, the original background chorus on the Foreigner tune was a black mainly (but mixed) chorus. If you want a real treat try to find a recording (or attend a church!) and experience a good old fashioned Black Baptist church hymn sing----rough but beautiful soulful voices that invariably almost bring tears to my eyes.........

Agreed!

As an alternative give a listen to "Let's Go Down to the River to Pray" cut on the Oh Brother Where Art Thou CD.

LOL: That cut was recorded indoors but the movie shows it as an outdoor scene. My wife was a little puzzled at first because it seemed to her that she could hear the sound reflecting off of the walls of a room/recording studio.

Khorns Uber Alles!

----------------

On 4/11/2005 8:05:50 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

Coytee-

That was the New Jersey Mass Choir on the Foreigner song.

It took a little while but I found it.
3.gif

----------------

Great!! I was driving myself nuts trying to remember the name of that choral group....Now to see if I can find one of their CDs!! Thanks.....