It's Too Damn Loud....hey you kids stay out of my yard.

DizRotus

Is there any distortion in the cannons of 1812 Overture? For all I know it may be all distortion.

But there ain't nothing like feeling it com'in your way. That is why I have Khorns! Along with other things.

I have found that the smoother your system, the louder it can be played without sounding loud.

Ain't this hobby just great!

When I'm right in front of the speakers, I like it with a live feel but not too loud, but when I'm outside, downstairs mowing the lawn, I like to be able to feel Phil Lesh's bass bombs too.9.gif

For the record, o ye physics aficianados, that's hyperbole (hyper bowl foreign us Kentuckians). It *does* sound rather nice with the windows open while pulling weeds though.

Forrest

----------------

On <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />
4/17/2005
3:54:56 PM Klewless wrote: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have found that the smoother your system, the louder it can be played without sounding loud.

----------------

Agreed. If the system can handle it, loud is not synonymous with bad.

Remember how dreadful the 6 x 9 speaker in a 66 Chevelle would sound when played "too loud?" It wasn't as loud as Khorns being driven by PWK's "1 clean watt," but it was distorted which made it sound bad and loud.

Neil,

When you get at one of these audio conventions you can't take what you hear there as what the same people would be doing in the less disturbed environment of there own home. These things have a tendency to bring up the volume because the noise floor is so much higher with 20 to 30 systems playing on the same floor at once. I myself like to listen loud at times and but by the end of the day Saturday I was completely burned out with a mild headache from the ridicules amount of constant noise. I bet 90% of the people there never turn there systems up for regular listening like you heard at the AKfest.

Craig

The old saying still holds true I suppose.

If it's too damn loud, then you are too damn old.

To me music does not really come to life until you crank it up some, I have pushed my system to over 120db in the living room on a few occassions and always when I am by myself and no one is around.

I have to check all the rooms afterwards to see what has fallen off the walls or shelves.

Craig-

Your AKFest room with the Altec VOTs was great. With your amps they played loud and clear. The room with the Heresies was also fine. The center room with the newer issue Klipsch speakers with copper colored cones was too loud when I was in it.

I confess a bias toward Heritage and total ignorance regarding the later Klipsch offerings. After listening to the system, I am unable to formulate an opinion regarding the speakers (what were they?) due to excessive volume.

I agree that a setting like AKFest tends to produce higher than typical volume level. When I said most people tend to listen at too loud a volume, that is with the understanding that most people don't listen to Klipsch. In almost any endeavor, "most people" do something other than I would do. Frequently doing what most people do is a mistake.