RF-3 vs RF-5

I curently own the RF-3's and I am happy wth them, but its time for an upgrade and I am curious if the RF-5's are much better than the RF-3's?? Would it be worth the extra money to upgrade to the RF-5's?? My system consisits of anm AH! Tjoeb 4000/upsampled cd player, Exposure XV integrated amp, Straightwire cables, and an old 70's Fisher Turntable. The sound is great with the RF-3's but Im just looking for a bit better bass,and clearness in the mids and treble. Should I go for it??

thanks

frank

----------------

On 4/13/2005 2:13:46 PM J.4knee wrote:

Save your money and get the RF7's

----------------

I agree. I own the RF-3's and I like them alot. I use to have them as my mains and now I am using them as side surrounds. Looking at the spec sheet, the RF-5's may be a slight upgrade at most. Save up for the RF-7's which are definitely an upgrade. {edit: BTW welcome to the forum 1.gif }

I litened to the RF-7's and didnt really like them, the bass was a little to boomy for music compared to the RF-3's and something about the mids just didnt sound right. I think it may have something to do with the 10in woofers. I think the 8in do the low midrange better. I also think the RF-7's are a little large for my room. I figure with the upgraded drivers in the rf-5's I would get more detail and transparency.

thanks

frank

BTW(you really cant tell much about how a speaker will sound by the spec sheet, a really good speaker might have bad specs but sound great and vice versa.) Is there anyone in here that is more into 2channel audio rather than home theater?? Seems like most people in here are home theater people?

I've had 3's and now own 5's and 7's,the 5's are a good step up from 3's.Its all about how much money you pay for the upgrade.I listen to 5s in 2.1 ch all the time,with a decent sub they can do good stereo.

----------------

On 4/13/2005 6:09:44 PM imperfectcircle25 wrote:

BTW(you really cant tell much about how a speaker will sound by the spec sheet, a really good speaker might have bad specs but sound great and vice versa.) Is there anyone in here that is more into 2channel audio rather than home theater?? Seems like most people in here are home theater people?

----------------

I agree you can't tell how a speaker will sound by the spec sheet. I was just giving you a point of reference. They are both made by the same company and with the exception of the larger horn in the RF-5's they appear to be close to the same speaker.

I considered going with the RF-5's, but after listening to them in the showroom I didn't hear ANY difference. Your hearing may be better and I suggest you go listen to it and see. Fish heard a difference and so may you.

I've owned the RF-3's, and I now own the RF-35's, 5's, and 7's. Like many wise sages say above, save up and go for the 7's. There really isn't too much difference between the 3's and the 5's. And that's not opinion. It's FACT!

Ok, it's not fact, but you'd be much happier with the 7's. Buy those, and you potentially will never have to buy speakers again for the rest of your days. And whoever said the RF7's were "boomy" either has terrible amplification, or (more likely), horrible room placement.

Just to "clarify"the 5s are an improvement over 3s,NOT like the improvement from 5s to 7s.Frank said the 7s were too big for his area and 5's are a definate upgrade from 3s(although I liked the 3s too in my bdrm).I own 7s and the last thing I would call them is "boomy",super tight would be a better description, but they ain't small and that weren't the ?

I thought the ? was he wants better bass/mids/treble,w/similar size,the 5's are better than 3's in these areas,thats a Fact,imo2.gif .For $800 more than 3's,no,I paid $250 more for my 5's,well worth it.As I said,its all about the money difference and 7s are over $1k more,although well worth it if you have the space,money and inclination.

But,if the ? were"should I go from 3s to 5's or 3's to 7's,well....we all know the the answer to that ?

I heard the RF-7's and didnt like them that much, something about the mids just didnt sound right and the bass did sound more boomy than the RF-3's to me. It is possible that the set up in the store was crappy and I know you really cant tell until you have them set up in your system in your room. But I thought that the RF-3's in my sytem sounded better than the RF-7 setup in the store. Although my amp and source are quite a bit better than the reciever and dvd player they were using to play cds at the store. But I still feel the RF-7's are a bit big for my room and I think they may over load the room with bass. Id rather go with the smaller RF-5's and if i need more bass add a good sub like a REL Strata. Do you guys think the RF-7's are better in the mids and highs than the 5's or just deeper in the bass?? I would think the 8in woofers would be better at the mids than 10in?? Im bit skeptical about a 2way with a 10in woofer and I think I could here it when i listened to the RF-7's, the mids didnt sound right for some reason. Anyways I think I will try and find a dealer that has a 30 day return policy so can listen to the RF-5's in my house and see if its worth the upgrade. If its not worth it I will just save my money intil I can afford something really good like the Revel f30 or Von Schwiekert VR3's.

What is the smallest room that the RF-7's will work well in with out to much bass? My room is 14x18x8ft which i think may be to small for them?? BTW how far do you guys have your RF-3's or 5's from the back wall?? If found the best balance between bass and soundstage with them pulled out 2.5ft from the back and side walls. Just curious about the placements you guys have used??

I realize that we evidently are looking for something different in a speaker. That being said, I like FEELING bass more than I like hearing it. For 2 channel music (as well as 5.1) I set my crossover at 60 Hz and turn my subs down slightly. I also understand our hearing is different, but I don't think I am missing anything in the midrange.

Our rooms are also completely different insofar as I have a small room with a high A-frame ceiling. My RF-7's sit 8 feet apart, slightly toed in.I have them raised 3 inches off the floor. The front of the speaker is budded up against 2 obstacles that essentially makes a corner. Picture of it is at:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=50686&num=30&sessionID={6A00FFA0-2A66-401A-83A7-8C8278AFB911}&pageNo=20 "Front stands" shows the front.

Man that picture sucks! I am going to have to do something about that after I finish my taxes, but I digress. My point is that you can fit Rf-7's in a small room and they can sound great. Raising them off the floor may help with what you don't like in the 10 inch woofers and still appreciate the mid's you are looking for.

I understand you are still looking at the RF-5's, but as far as a real upgrade is concerned, don't discount the RF-7. If you don't like them you still have the 30 day return policy. Good luck on whatever decision you make.1.gif

Wow that space is really small. You dont find the bass overwelming on bass heavy music?? Im a kinda considering the RF-7's after what you guys have said, I think the reason they didnt sound so great at the store is because they had it connected to a cheap reciever and DVD player in a not so perfect setup. I bet in my room with my equipment they would sound far better. I will definitly check them out. My other option is the RF-5's with a good musical sub like the REL STrata or ACI Titan. 102db/watt is crazy sensitivity! I thought the RF-3's at 98db where high. Im a bit afraid that my amp will hiss to much with the increased sensitivity. Exposure amps are great but not the quietest amps around, it has something to do with not having a filter on the output stage,im not really sure how it works but thats what Exposure has told me, as a result you get a clearer more immediate sound. i never had a problem with the noise with normal speakers but I can hear it slightly on the RF-3's when no music is playing which i guess is not a big deal since you cant hear it with music on. Anyways thanks for the advice

frank

----------------

On 4/14/2005 4:19:05 PM imperfectcircle25 wrote:

Wow that space is really small. You dont find the bass overwelming on bass heavy music?? ----------------

No, in fact I have 2 subs in this room.1.gif1.gifBoth RSW's are usually only turned half way up for music, and setting the crossover at 60 Hz helps.

I think the corner placement of my fronts and having an A-frame ceiling adds something acousticly as well. I also have the RF-7's (and RF-3's) raised off of the floor, so I get more direct sound.

I know several people who have looked at the pictures and shake their head in disbelief--The ones who actually experience the sound first hand become believers. 9.gif I wish my pictures would have uploaded better.

Wow you have a pair of 15in woofers in that room! I think I would be overwelmed by that much bass. But I only have 2 channel music only system so I dont need the bass liek home theater systems. Im sure the RF-7's will have more than enough bass for me, after all the RF-3's were pretty satisfying in the bass for me so the RF-7's should take it to the next level. I also like the real wood finish compared to the fake black wood on the RF-3's. Im hoping the RF-7's will have a bigger sound with more impact than my RF-3's, has this been your experience??

Wow you have a pair of 15in woofers in that room! I think I would be overwelmed by that much bass. But I only have 2 channel music only system so I dont need the bass liek home theater systems. Im sure the RF-7's will have more than enough bass for me, after all the RF-3's were pretty satisfying in the bass for me so the RF-7's should take it to the next level. I also like the real wood finish compared to the fake black wood on the RF-3's. Im hoping the RF-7's will have a bigger sound with more impact than my RF-3's, has this been your experience??

----------------

On 4/15/2005 12:20:41 PM imperfectcircle25 wrote:

Wow you have a pair of 15in woofers in that room!....Im hoping the RF-7's will have a bigger sound with more impact than my RF-3's, has this been your experience??

----------------

I have to admit, I am into overkill. 10.gif For movies they ROCK. Like the others on this post have said, It really is an upgrade in sound presence. The larger horn and the 2 10 inch woofers in the RF-7 make everything seem more dynamic.

IPC,

You answered your own question with "and I am happy wth them, but its time for an upgrade ".......is it really? Will you enjoy RF 5's or RF 7's $1,500.00 more?................ (someone had to be a discinter here.........:>).

EDIT: i saw your last post- In which case you should Get the RF 7's...........of the models you posted, the 7's are your best bang for the Buck

Well i mean that I bought them origionally because I was on a tight budget, and they have served me well and sounded great for the money. But now I have the money to get the better speakers I wanted origionally but couldnt afford at the time. So while I have been happy with thr RF-3's Im sure I will be even more happy with the new speakers I buy whatever they may be. Right now I have so many to choose from its going to be hard to make a choice. A Few that are on my list are.

Klipsch RF-7 or RF-5

Revel F30

Dynaudio Countour 3

Paradigm Studio 100V3

PSB Stratus Gold i

NHT 2.9

Vin Schwiekert VR3

Ive also considered going with a smaller floorstander and adding a nice sub like the REL Strata

As you can see I have quite a list to choose from so it wont be easy. They are all excellent speakers, this is going to be rough!