Signal To Sub. Using Old Tube Preamp,...?

126mhz

Before i try something I want to ask the group who has given me so much help with my HiFi in the past.

I have a Dynaco ST70, and a McIntosh C11 tube preamp. As we all know there is no provision on this Preamp to send signal to a subwoofer which I would like to use with my La Scalas. FIRST, I know I could use a crossover to run a signal to this sub, but I'd rather not buy something new, etc. etc..

SO, since my Sunfire MkII True Sub has it's own crossover WHY can't I just run some wire off one of the output channels of my Dynaco to the Sunfire??

It seems to me that it has to work and I can't see how this could do any harm to my Dynaco,....could it?

All educated advice is welcome.

Once again, thanks all,

Bill Woodward

Radio Shack make a splitter for line-out RCA interconnects. Y-splitter I guess it's called.

It splits one into two.

Hook it up to one side, run the extra RCA line out to the subwoofer amp.

If the subwoofer's amp has it's own gain control, you can tweak with it and dial it in with the rest of the system.

After you find the crossover setting of choice.

That should work. And you can control the subwoofer and mains volume control all from the pre-amp's VC.

I split the signal right at the source(DVD,CDP) and use a external amp and crossover for the subs. I have the use the amplifiers volume pot to adjust level. It kinda sucks, oh well.....

What you could do is measure the bass frequency response of your Lascalas... then just run a pre-out wire to the Sunfire like you said, and keep dropping the crossover until it's low enough that the response is flattened, but extended lower.

Of course, a better option would be to obtain an external crossover like the Outlaw ICBM I am using now, but if you'd rather not spend money, the above is a workable option.

----------------

On 4/16/2005 2:09:40 PM meuge wrote:

What you could do is measure the bass frequency response of your Lascalas... then just run a pre-out wire to the Sunfire like you said, and keep dropping the crossover until it's low enough that the response is flattened, but extended lower.

Of course, a better option would be to obtain an external crossover like the Outlaw ICBM I am using now, but if you'd rather not spend money, the above is a workable option.

----------------

Thanks Meuge, but I have a VERY basic understanding of the outlaw crossover. I believe I saw a picture of one of these posted on this site and I have a question or two about wiring it into my system. Will I have to change the small spades on the speaker cablesI just constructed? Is the outlaw crossover a passive system? How much does it cost? Can you vary the crossover frequency easily with the outlaw crossover?

Thank you all very much for the input.

Bill Woodward