RC7's online as mains in the house

Deang

Got the call today that my RC7's came in. So, packed up the RB5's and took 'em in for trade. Brought home the RC7's, twirled the horn around, set them babies up on end, and then fired them up.

So...what does this new horn give me that my RB5's didn't? Is it really apples and oranges? I don't think so. I was pleased to find that the sonic signatures were practically identical. As a matter of fact, using the RC7's as mains sounds very much like RB5's on steroids - which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Two things very noticable as compared to the RB5 is the RC7's smoother overall response and the complete lack of strain at any volume level. A wonderful wide open sound.

As far as I am concerned - this new driver puts Klipsch over the top, and I really can't think of anything under $4K that can compete with these speakers. Now, if there is an under $4K set of speakers that sound better - then they are going to be powered by $10K worth of electronics.

Klipsch brings me 'high-end' sound for much less, and even throws in the dynamics the 'high-end' designs lack.

Couldn't be happier.

RC7's reviewed with:

Luxman M117 200w amp

Anthem Pre1L preamp

Anthem CD1 cd player

Marantz DV7010 dvd player

------------------

deanG

• 4 weeks later...

deang,

I am seriously considering 3 RC-7s for my music/HT ( I figure I am going to need a sub anyway ) and have a couple of questions. How hard is it to rotate the horn in the RC-7? Does it make a difference which woofer is on top? What size stands are you using? What does Klipsch say about rotating the horn will it void the warranty?

Thanks

Paul

WOW you are using two RC-7's as mains! Nice

I should try this too.I have the RF-5's now,the sound is BIG and I mean BIG but at extreme volumes I have a strange feeling the tweeter is straining(!?).

Its NOT the amp,I use a Celeste 4250SE,this amp can drive my Dynaudio Contours to extreme volumes with no strain(and the Dynaudio need O juice to start kicking).

I will get the RF-7's and RC-7 center,now I may get three!LOL

Good to hear they sound great as mains.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

DeanG,

Congrats on your RC7's. Sounds like a killer set-up. Perhaps you've already stated and I missed it, but what sub(s) do you use with them?

Oh, that "star of David" screw is known as a "Torx" head. Or at least that's one name for them. GM seems to like them, as they use a lot of'em in their cars and trucks now.

------------------

JDMcCall

The PV1000 is a great micro sub,can go down quite low(around 25Hz with good output)and has a good punch.The 1000W rating is not RMS(who cares subs work on peaks),good built quality and solid drivers.I like the nice finish.

As the resident sub freak I had a chance to hear this sub at home several months ago.No negative comments to post,fine sub.

The Sunfire Signature is in another league,the Signature goes lower with tremendous power.Many serious review sites and mags pointed this.The bass extention is clearly better too,sub 20Hz is pissible here,and around 25-30Hz the output is HUGE,near the large Velodyne HGS(15 and 18!).

This sub needs to be cut around 40-50 Hz to sound great,above the detail gets lost.The Boston sound better on music.For pure power even the Sunfire Mark II has no trouble with the PV1000.None at all

cwm12.gif

And last,Bob Carver is the man who invented the true micro sub concept.All others copy him,even Velodyne with its HGS10 and 12 wanted to compete with Sunfire.

And still for sheer output the Sunfire size for size outperforms(SPL) all other in outputs.Period

In terms of musicality the M&K 700 is the champion of tight and fast bass.Outperforms even the REL Q200E(very Sunfire like,in looks).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Well now, the rubber bumpers were supplied by Klipsch with the speakers and would have damaged the veneer regardless of where they were put. At any rate, I can tell you first hand that no one stands behind their stuff like you guys do -- I've enacted the stupidity clause several times over the years.:)