Looking to start vinyl collection

jeffgeorge

Hello Jeff, My son and I went to the Salvation Army,or Good Will. He was surprised to see what they had. We have a record store in town that sells most for $4.00 to $10.00 each. Too early here for yard sales. Try an add in the paper,you might get swamped with calls. Enjoy! Larry

You stated the obvious. If you are just starting then you can check ebay. I did well with the attitude that anything less than a dollar per album was okay (which included shipping), but I strived for 50 cents per record. It is pretty easy if you are just starting. Now get the word out. You would be suprised how many people have albums sitting around. My wife made it know at her work that her husband was a nut and had accumulated a few hundred albums. Before you know it she is coming home with three boxes (584) albums from a co-worker who said "here, do with them as you like". There was almost every Beatles ablum in that box "UNOPENED!!!!!!!!" That was pretty cool to cut the shrink wrap and be the first to play an album. I took the ones that I did not want to a record store and we worked out a deal. If I have less than 10 they let me use them as 50 percent off coupons.

If it's used LPs, I believe it's best to be able to inspect the record surface before buying. I know GaryMD does this, and he comes up with fabulous surfaces. While it's best for him to chime in directly, I think that, for classical LPs at least, the surface should have a deep black background, the grooves carrying louder sounds should glisten against the light, and there shouldn't be scoured lines running across the grooves. If the surface looks dusty or grimy and/or has that scouring, stay far away. I haven't done ebay myself.

Larry

I had good luck running ads in local paper, not like a penny saver. I was able to buy whole collections for around 8 to 10 cents. I kept what I wanted, traded and donated the majority. This was for 1000 and 1200 piece collections. Takes some time to setup visits and you will see alot of trash, but the good stuff makes it worth while. Joe