Help recording cassette onto hard drive

Tom Mobley

My wife actually asked me to do something for her with the computer!

She has a few cassettes she would like to have copied onto CD. I have a nice Nakamichi tape deck in the living room, main computer is in another room. So, I figured I would dump the .wavs on the laptop, then burn the CDs on the burner in the lappy. I got a cable that's RCA on one end, 1/8" mini plug on the other. Moved a LaScala in front of the cabinet to set the lappy on, cranked up the XP sound recording app, recorded the first track. Played it back and it's horrible, can't even pick the music out of the nasty static. It's awful. What am I doing wrong? Hardware in the lappy too cheap? XP sound recorder too crummy? Something else? Won't be a ground loop I don't think, the lappy was on battery.

I had the same question about my Compaq laptop running XP home. The input jack says microphone. The HELP menu really tells nothing.

When I get some time I will try the suggested software.

Gee, they don't make this easy. I suspect the hardware capability is in there. Software and documentation is the critical issue.

Gil

Most of the built in audio chipsets are awful. If it is only a mic input, you can wire up about a 30 db pad to get things more in range. If your laptop has a usb port, you can get something like an Edirol usb audio interface. They start around $70 though. You can find some (Terratec) that have a phono pre as well on them, so you can do LPs without using your stereo gear.

Marvel

Tom, if you get tired of dealing with it, send me the tapes. I've got a nice Marantz hardware burner & decent Sansui tape deck. I would be glad to help if it's too much trouble to sort out. PM me as I am unsure of my email acct's safety at the moment.

I'd agree with the assessments that you're overloading a mic input. Does the Nak have output level controls? That would be a work-around if you can't find a way to pad down the level at the sound card itself. Click around the application and see what you can dig up. If it's like most things that try to be idiot-proof, it's probably tough for even a smart guy to figure out how to adjust.

Thanks guys for your help. I did get the Goldwave software, it has quite extensive capabilites. it has a something that resembles a 10 band level indicator. It was showing peaks at 0 or so. this particular tape is commercially recorded, shows peaks at zero also on the display of the Nak. recorded at CD quality, 44.1, it generated a 1GB file. it took the software almost 8 minutes to process and save the file, this is on a Pentium 2600 laptop with a gig of ram. Yow. Too bad there was no appreciable improvement. Sounds like $2 transistor radio with a bad speaker.

Guess I'll acquire a decent sound card and try again. Are the M-Audio cards still well thought of?

Ben., thanks very much for the offer. It's very tempting. But I've been avoiding getting involved with computer sound stuff for years, looks like this might be the time to get off the dime.

Thanks to all of you guys for pitching in here, I appreciate it.

Hmpf, looking at the Nak it has two knobs in the lower right. It's a DR8. over the two knobs is the string Bal---Rec Level---Master. Looks like I might be able to turn the output level down, the knob is in the middle. I'll give it one try.

{EDIT} Turning down the rec level didn't help, still awful. Off to newegg.com to look at audio cards.