Dodd Audio FIRE SALE!

Dean:

You said:

"I don't think he makes anything that's tube rectified, which as far as I'm concerned is the only thing out there that edges out the better switching amps. Based on what I'm hearing over here, there's no way in hell I'll ever own another solid state rectified tube amp."

I'm sorry, but it sounds to me that your opinion concerning tube vs ss rectification is stated fairly clearly in the above quote -- which is what I was responding to. I wasn't intending to patronize, and don't think I worded my response in a way that was rude. I believe it's entirely within your rights to express your opinion concerning which of the two approaches is 'better' (for you), and you stated that opinion overtly. I don't agree with you, and I think I have the same right to say so.

If you have never heard one of the amps in question, it might be fair to allow for just a little room for possibility -- that they still might be very good sounding amps despite the manner in which they convert AC to DC.

Craig: I think the adhesive we see is silicone rubber -- I've used it for crossover work, too.

Erik

O.K, even though it feels like it sometimes, I'm aware I haven't heard every amp out there - so I suppose there might be an exception to the rule I've set up in my head. All I can say is the solid state rectified amplifiers I've owned to date have had a trace of hardness or brittleness in the upper registers. There is a touch of incisiveness to the sound, and the brittle nature of the notes makes the top sound a little smeared or hashy. The VAC, AE-25, as well as the Quicksilvers all shared in this nature. The QUADs didn't have it, Craig's modified Dynacos didn't have it, and neither does the QSC I'm using now. So, being the simple minded fool that I am -- I've deduced that tube rectified amplifiers and solid state amps with switched power supplies sound both cleaner and more natural.

----------------

On 4/22/2005 7:32:53 AM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

Dean ..

are you using a class H QSC PLX ..??

these get great reviews in the pro forums ..

i'm using a Ross switcher right now, instead of the Crowns ..
----------------

The two smaller amps (1202 & 1602) in the PLX line are actually AB, while the larger units use class H. Dean's using the 1602.

This response is to answer the question Tony posted on the 8 watt mono's. Just to let you know I only build mono amps now. The 8 watt amps are push-pull Class A amps. they use a very small amount of feed back to keep them in control, the early ones did not use feeback. It helped in the control at lower frequencies.The usable bandwidth is from 14hz-55khz @1db. The tubes are 5687's or some variation of that. You can use 7044's which are my personal favs., 7119's and E182CC's will also work well in these amps. Changing tube types will change the sound of the amps, so you can virtually tune them to sound the way you like it.The amps are self bias or cathode bias, so there is nothing to do except instal the tubes and listen. They use all Cardas terminations, detachable power cords. The amps are physically small (8"x 12"). They are reliable and stable giving long life out of a set of tubes, and the tubes are easy to get and inexpensive. The transformers are designed by myself and built locally as I can oversee the processes. The transformers are massive for 8 watt transformers, they are the same physical size as the transformers on the 50 watt amps! If you have more questions feel free to let me know. Thanks

gary1.gif

I did not call Gary because he did a good enough job of answering my questions here on the forum. His amps look like nice pieces BUT I am holding out for an EL84 amp...perhaps I will buy a dynaco ST-35 or a pilot SA-232 and rebuild it...regards, tony