Mapletree Ultra 4A Preamp and PS2 Power Supply,...

126mhz

I needed something to use when I send my McIntosh C11 all tube Preamp in for it's forty four year service! It as listed on Audiogon and the guy sellig it was local so I went and looked at it and bought it without even listening to it. I'm using it with a Dynaco ST70 that's been redone and my LaScalas,....Wow!

I'm no expert but I had no idea this little package could make such a difference. I have a feeling that when I get my Mac back I might just sell it on Audiogon. Has anyone else owned or listented to any of Mapletree's gear?

I tried to give you guys a link to their web site but I could not get it to attach.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

Bill, yes the Mapletree is without a doubt a fine bang for buck preamp. Been there done that. Wait until you get the upgrade bug and buy a JM Blueberry or Peach. They're another step in the right direction. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for your wallet.

My Mapletree pre has the SE "Special Edition" package with Auricap and Blackgate caps. I may try another pre amp for one of my other systems but right now I can't see getting rid of it knowing it's less than a year old and cost be a pinch over four hundred bucks,.... It's just too good for the money I have in this little pair.

Bill Woodward

I had an SE for a year. Sold it a month ago. It was a nice preamp for the money. When you are ready for something better, I'd suggest a JM product. You won't be dissapointed if you like the sound from the Mapltree. I hope you enjoy your Ultra 4A SE. Cheers!

Yes, I bought a SE version a while back from another forummember. It is a great piece and yes if/when you hear so much difference, you want to continue along the road up(grade)wards. 1.gif

Ps: Now that we are talking about it anyway. The only thing is that the phonosection still has a bit much noise. I replaced the 12sc7's (and rolled the other tubes, 12sx7's, as well. When I turn the knob alsmost to the right (yes it is loud and they are tubes, but still) it's quite a cosmic storm! Anyone? It is a minor problem, but I think it should be possible to make it better.

Tim.

Well after reading the reviews of the Blueberry and the Peach by Juicy Music I think I'm going to go ahead and pick one of them up,....Just as soon as I can justify about five times as much as I paid for my little Mapletree Pre.8.gif

My Klipsch KP301 101db speakers ran me $500.00, My as new birch LaScalas were $500.00 (although I agree they were my deal of a lifetime) I have slightly less than $500.00 in my completely redone Dynaco ST70,... My completely redone Scott 299D was less than half of a Juicy Music Peach or Blueberry.

You call me cheap I say thank you.

I have a strong feeling I won't be owning any of Juicy Music's products in the near future. Perhaps it's my loss but JM's product range are just a bit out of my range.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

Yup the Mapletree is a real steal even at its full retail price been saying it to people for almsot 2 years now. You should hear one that has some more special touches done to it 11.gif like the one I just broke down and sold to a local customer. Not to toot my own horn but I'm the one the developed the SE version of that preamp and talked him into it! I also built the very first tube rectified power supply for it. Its not up there with the Peach or Blueberry but its a pretty darn nice sounding preamp.

Craig

----------------

On 4/24/2005 8:38:03 PM NOSValves wrote:

Yup the Mapletree is a real steal even at its full retail price been saying it to people for almsot 2 years now. You should hear one that has some more special touches done to it
11.gif
like the one I just broke down and sold to a local customer. Not to toot my own horn but I'm the one the developed the SE version of that preamp and talked him into it! I also built the very first tube rectified power supply for it. Its not up there with the Peach or Blueberry but its a pretty darn nice sounding preamp.

Craig

----------------

If you played any part in helping develop this fine little preamp my hat is off to you friend!2.gif

I don't have the background in the technology to say what the seperate little power supply adds to the total setup but this little preamp and matching power supply go very well together,...I'm very happy with them!

My relative pea brain still can't understand why they sound so much better than my C11 McIntosh pre but it's only fair to say the Mac is forty four years old. It will be interesting to hear the difference after the Mac has been gone through by Terry Dewick down in TN..

What a cool hobby this has been for me, to hear the sometimes slight differences in the sound of various components in one of my HiFi sets.

If one is willing to look around and learn a little bit from web sites like this one theres a lot of bang for the buck to be had.

With as many different systems I have in my house and garage I have a feeling I'll be doing some business with you before it's all over with.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

Like I said Craig if you're correct, (and you're not the first to say it) I will be selling the Mac on Audiogon. They still command pretty good money and mine is is very good condition, even for a Mac afectionado's taste.

Bill Woodward