HK 635 or Denon 3805

Scudd

I need a new reciever and can't deside between the Hk and Denon. I like the video conversion on the Denon, but I think there wattage ratings maybe bogus.

I can purchase the Denon for around 1k locally or the HK from OneCall for 750 or so. I need some opions on these two.

They will be hooked up to 4.5's for fronts, CLF7 center, KG1 rears and a SVS sub.

Thanks

I am sure its a toss up. See if you can demo them both. Strange thing is that I have read that the HK635 uses Texas Instrument DSP chip while the HK235 and more expensive HK7300 use the Cirrus Logic DSP chip, strange. I have never noticed a shortage of power from my Denon, but also used a power sub. Good luck with your decision.

----------------

On 4/24/2005 6:34:52 PM Scudd wrote:

I need a new reciever and can't deside between the Hk and Denon. I like the video conversion on the Denon, but I think there wattage ratings maybe bogus.

I can purchase the Denon for around 1k locally or the HK from OneCall for 750 or so. I need some opions on these two.

They will be hooked up to 4.5's for fronts, CLF7 center, KG1 rears and a SVS sub.

Thanks

----------------

I don't know why you think the Denon's watt ratings are suspect, but I own the Denon 3805 and I can attest it will have enough power to drive your speakers. HK also has a good reputation on this forum. If you can buy locally that is what I would do.

Ah,

I just went through this. I choose the HK 635 because the sound was supposidly smoother and the amps better. Also, some of the extra goodies (VERY good auto setup system) were good for me.

Do be warned, it is very quirky and it will take you a while to figure it out. The external build quality isn't as good as the Denon, but I don't care.

I was able to snag it from J&R for $680 shipped - price went up.