Which speaker cable are you using?

tiggs

----------------

On 4/26/2005 10:03:39 AM doudou wrote:

----------------

On 4/26/2005 9:54:36 AM TheEvan wrote:

While we're on the subject, two more questions: The first one is directly related.

1. One of my speakers uses a 24' run, the other a 44' run. I'm using 12 ga. wire I got from HD I think. Adequate for that length?

2. If I get monoblocks, do I place them with each Khorn or do I keep my longer speaker wire runs?

----------------

for the 2), i think you should keep your longer speaker wire run.

if you place the amp near the khorn you will amplify all the noise the wire will get in the same way you amplifye the music.

but i don t know if on about 40 feet it will be noticeable.

----------------

You are much better of with longer pre-out runs between pre and amplifier while minimizing the speaker connection from the amp to speaker, so, yes, you should ideally try to locate your amps closer to each speaker.

Ideally, you would want to keep both speaker leads approximately equal for reasons of symmetry and variations in total loads. But in the real world, I don't think you are going to have to worry about this too much! You aren't driving a speaker that will present too strange a load to the amp, so I would suggest going with what you have.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure you can, but would you expalin to me the rationale behind wanting longer interconnects as opposed to speaker wires? To my of thinking, the lower voltage and currents in the interconnects would be more susceptable to interference from RF, magnetic fields, etc, altering the signal than you would experience through your speaker wires. Where is my thinking flawed?

Simply speaking you are dealing with line level and speaker level signals.

A line level connection is a low-power signal typically sent over a RCA interconnect. The interconnect between the preamp and amplifier is a line level signal, while the speaker wire from your receiver to the back of your speakers carries a highly amplified signal, and surprisingly enough it is referred to as a speaker level signal! 9.gif

Typically, good line-level cabling uses what is commonly known as shielded cable. A braid or wrap of wire around a center conductor in a cable serves to help stop electrostatic and electromagnetic noise from being induced into the cable. Electromagnetic noise is emitted from sources such as fluorescent lighting, lighting dimmers, and electric motors, as well as other signal sources located nearby. Thus the line level signal is less susceptible to induced noise then speaker level cable. Additionally, the impedance match is typically much greater between pre-amp and amp and reflections (and resultant oscillations) are minimized.

I hope this makes some sense.

I still think that we should create a designated area for white papers, plans/diagrams, definitions, typical setups/configurations, charateristics, etc are 'built' and stored for reference!