Dumb question, but what is Mondial?

Kain

Well? I see it in the Products section, what is it? A brand of receivers or something? cwm13.gif

------------------

Home Theater (getting soon):

TV: Sony 34" FD Trinitron WEGA

DVD: Sony DVP-S735D

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: None (Waiting for Klipsch RSW-15)

Courtesy of the home theater / hifi website, we have:

Acurus was founded in 1992 as the value brand of Mondial Designs. Mondial was started with the Aragon brand, well know for its high end electronics in audiophile circles. Mondial was founded in 1986 by Paul Rosenberg and Anthony Federici, the latter of whom has since left the business. In December of 2000 Mondial was bought out by Klipsch of speaker fame. Paul Rosenberg is still with Mondial as the Director of Marketing and New Product Development.

The initial Aragon products were actually designed by Dan D'Agostino of Krell. About 11 years ago, Mike Kusiak joined Mondial as Chief Designer and is responsible for all products since, including the DIA150. All Mondial amplifiers have the same design philosophy, i.e., no integrated circuits, motorized volume pots, glass-epoxy circuit boards, large transformers, lots of capacitance and bipolar output devices.

Also, check out the review of the Acurus DIA150 at http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_3/acurus-dia-150-integrated-amplifier-7-2001.html

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Thanks.

But how come I don't see anyone using them in this forum?

------------------

Home Theater (getting soon):

TV: Sony 34" FD Trinitron WEGA

DVD: Sony DVP-S735D

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: None (Waiting for Klipsch RSW-15)

Because we're too cheap!! (LOL). Actually, several of us are using them and several more will be using them as soon as Ubid sees fit to ship them to us. They are on firesale on Ubid because Klipsch has opted to temporarily park the Acurus brand on a shelf to probably consolidate the product lines into one, rather than keeping both Acurus and Aragon. They seem to be very well regarded as an excellent piece for the price, and even better at 55% off list!

DD2

doug, steve, etc., can/do u run those power amps off the switched outlets of your denon receivers? u know don't want to get off my fanny to turn an amp on/off & don't want to get another powercenter w/ switching or delay as i just got a new monster hts1000 powercenter

('bout $96 delivered at www.1cache.com )

made my daily call to the marantz dealer. has a MM9000

at good sale price. 150WX5, channel level controls, rc 18 remote/capability. but if i put that w/ the denon 4802, wonder if that atkis remote will work on the marantz. would think so.

could be interesting. clearness & detail of the denon as a preamp along w/ the audio warmness of a marantz power amp. wonder how they'd get along? Biggrin.gif

anybody using the marantz MM9000, especially w/ a denon for a preamp?

boa - I mentioned this in another post. I don't plan to hook my Acurus up to my Denon for power. I don't want to have it be the weak link in the power chain. Gonna have the power company run some dedicated poles (crystal aligned, of course) as someone else suggested (Fini?).

Seriously, I've got a recipe from Ross Taylor on building a cheap remote-activated outlet from a heavy duty extension cord. It plugs into your wall or Monster outlet and has a plug that goes into the switched outlet on your receiver. When the receiver goes on, it closes a relay which completes the circuit from your Monster strip to the amplifier. If you are interested, perhaps I can get the recipe to you.

DD2

thanks doug. of course i'd rather have someone else build it for me. Biggrin.gif

i did talk to an adam @ mondial & he also advised against plugging into the receiver outlet. said probably would lose some 'o that sonic quality for the acurus.

i was gonna jump on that acurus 200X5 but then called the dealer & they have that sale goin on for a marantz MM9000 150WX5 power amp. looks real nice & has those turn-on features. could u imagine a denon 4802 preamp w/ a marantz power amp? just afraid they may reject each other w/ all the rivalry Biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-30-2001 at 08:00 PM

Without receiving permission from the author to post this, here is the link to the Ross V Taylor Official RYO Remote Amplifier Control:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-x10/thread.cgi?753

Good luck. This posting does not offer any warranties, express or implied, nor merchantability nor fitness for use. Have fun!

DD2

P.S. Looks like it might run more than $15, but just a bit.

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 08-31-2001 at 01:28 AM