Should I go w/ DENON 3805 with this set-up?

miamagsdad

Could someone Please recommend a RECEIVER new/used under $1500 that would be best... 1st w/music & 2nd w/movies

Here's what I have....

1980's Cornwall's >> front

Chorus II's >> rear

Forte II's >> sides

no center(Academy)yet

Energy 8'100wtt powered sub

presently using Denon 1801 5.1 70 wpc receiver

Thanks9.gif

Welcome to the forum. The Denon 3805 is a good unit. If you can find a Denon 4802 R you may be able to get a good deal because they are about to release the 4806. I think it may already be discontinued. It retailed for $1999, but I bet it can be had for at least $500 less NIB if any dealers still have them.

It is THX ultra II certified and has a good THX music setting on it along with the various other DSP settings that are nice--It doesn't have the Audio Calibrations that the newer 3805 has but is a better unit IMHO. I own both. They also allow you to hook up 2 sets of side surrounds which is nice.

Just bought the Denon 2805. Bought it over the 3805 because it comes with the room balance/set up microphone where as with the 3805 you have to buy it seperate. Love the feature balancing and setting up the room. 2805 cost me around $600 after dickering with the sales guy. Lost some power over the 3805 and a couple of connection types but I didn't need it. Hooked up to Denon DVD, Samsung 5085, and Klipsch 25's. Room is 13X15 with an open wing to the side (L shaped room) of equal size. The amp handles the room well.

I have a 3802 driving a Ref 7 setup. I hooked my corns up to it one day and couldn't stand what came out. It sounded terrible. I placed my RF7's in the exact place as the cornwalls and the sound was much better. The corns do sound beautiful with other amplication, so it was not the speakers.

IMO, the 3802/cornwall setup was not a good combination. Although I haven't listened to a 3805, I can't imagine the sonic signature is much different than the 3802.

Just my 2 cents,

-PB