Where to set crossover???

danaarondrum

Newbie question...

My receiver (Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K) allows you to set a crossover point between the speakers and the subwoofer. I'm seriously considering adding the new sub-12 to my system.....(F-3s front, F-2's rear, C-3 center). At what frequncy should I set the crossover in the reciever...and the sub???

Thanks.

The crossover on the receiver should be used. The crossover on the subwoofer should be bypassed. If you use both crossovers, you will have a hole in your bass response from cascading the crossovers. The THX standard of 80 Hz is a good place to start on the receiver.

Bill

I agree with the others who said to set your crossover in the reciever and bypass the sub crossover. One thing I'd like to add is that how good a particular crossover setting sounds is not just a result of your speakers and sub, but also of the internal processing of your reciever. In my experience some recievers do well with a higher setting than others do. Right now my crossover is set to 90 Hz. So I would recommend that whenever you get a new reciever it's worth playing with your crossover settings again to make sure its at the optimal setting for your combination of speakers, sub, and reciever.

Scott