Transporting Fortes

mcp

I've found a pair of excellent Fortes about 2.5 hrs away. The seller does not have the boxes, so I will have to shoehorn them into my Mazda 626 as they are. Do you think it would be safe to lie them on their backs on top of 2 or 3 thick comforters (double folded). The binding posts are recessed and I don't think their would be any significant contact w/ the passives. One speaker in the back seat, the other in the trunk. both would be surrounded on all sides by thick padding...what do you think?

Keith is right. Just take some big cardboard boxes (thicker is better) and break them down into flat sheets.......like a big rolling paper, I guess. If the sheets are big enough to cover the entire speaker, just lay one on it's side on top of the cardboard. Start at one edge and roll the speaker over, keeping the cardboard tight against the sides, like you're wrapping a gift. When you get to the end of the sheet, stick some packing tape along the entire "seam".

Then take a box cutter and slice through each of the corners at the ends (top and bottom of speaker). Fold the "flaps" down, stick some tape on them and you're done.

This won't protect against major fumbles, but it will protect against minor bumps, rubbing and such. One thing is for certain, the speakers will get some cosmetic damage if you try to haul them in a car without covering them. It only takes a few minutes. Just be sure to take cardboard, packing tape and box cutters with you, and I'd still use the "thick padding" you mentioned, if possible.

BTW, if the sheets of cardboard aren't big enough to cover the whole speaker, just tape some together....this doesn't have to look good.

Good luck, Rick.

I transported my Fortes in the back seat of a Plymouth Neon. They fit just fine. They were laying on their sides with the back of the front seats pushed back against them. There were no problems transporting them without boxes, blankets, quilts etc. There was no damage to them until while in the back seat, the car was parked, minding it's own business when the neighbor came by drunk and pushed the car sideways 15 feet through a chain link fence and backwards 20 or so feet. The car was totaled and the only damage to the speakers was one grill cloth was torn a little bit and some of the edges were slightly chipped. These speakers are built tough and it takes a lot to really damage them, unless you work for FedEx or UPS, then they are just big targets.

Really, unless you have a major accident, just put them in the back seat with a pad between them and you will be fine.