What do you use?

Speedball

It's an old Denon stereo reciever #345R 45wpc.

The speakers are Klipsch 4.2's rated 100wpc.max. @ 95db.

I am really curious as to what someone else would use whether it would be S.S. or tubes or whatever....

I thought about an old 70's reciever or some newer brand Unico or maybe something class 'A'. I've never heard a tube amp but would hate for tubes to mask or cover the clear Klipsch highs.

I'd be happy spending 400.00 but could go 1000.00 or so. The room is about 12'x16' w/ acoustic ceiling and heavy curtains all around.

..............Pat

I used both a 45WPC Yamaha CA-610 II amplifier and then a 55WPC Nakamichi TA-2A to power my KG-2s...even tried my 100WPC Outlaw Audio 7100 through the KG2s as rear speakers for a bit...very nice... the KG2s are being run by a buddy right now with a sad Sony HT but he is moving up...

Bill

I'm surprised the Denon doesn't give you satisfying results. Is it bass you're missing? You might try an HK 430. 630, 730, or 930. They can be had for $50 - $150, depending on seller. maybe someone on this forum. I had some KG 3.2's in my garage with a Teac receiver and they rocked. Hope you get what you get what you want from your 4.2's. If not, sell them to me. I miss my 3.2's.

It does sound very clear with tons of bass, if anything the midrange may be a little recessed.

Just seemed like something was missing. I'm not sure if McIntosh or H.K. or tubes would make much of a difference w/o buying blindly. (can you say "roll the dice").

..mmmm...now that I think about it I wonder if RF5's would be much different? I have heard them a few times in the store.

Thank you for the input!

----------------

On 4/28/2005 9:24:59 PM fastlane wrote:

I'm surprised the Denon doesn't give you satisfying results. Is it bass you're missing? You might try an HK 430. 630, 730, or 930. They can be had for $50 - $150, depending on seller. maybe someone on this forum. I had some KG 3.2's in my garage with a Teac receiver and they rocked. Hope you get what you get what you want from your 4.2's. If not, sell them to me. I miss my 3.2's.

----------------

I'm currently driving my KG4's as rear channel with a Yamaha RXV2400 7.1 receiver. Sounds great! Prior to my Yamaha purchase I've used a Marantz 2220b (almost too small) and a Marantz 2385 (overkill!). Powerful bass, mellow sound. If you're staying 2 channel they are worth considering along with the abovementioned HK's.

I have 2 Denon stereo recievers and they sound very much alike even though one is about 12 years old.

The Denon 2000ivr integrated was a contender and looks like a million bucks but I'm 1/2 afraid it will have that Denon signature sound.

Used seems like a pretty darn good way to save a lot of green.

I here RF-5's are on sale for $700.00 a pair. That would be a great purchase. Otherwise the old HK series with separate transformers really bring out the bass in the KG3.5's I gave to my son. He has those with Hk430 and it really rocks.