13uF cap for AK-3

KT66

one of the fortunate things about caps is that they be paralleled easily. a 6 and 7 wired in parallel are the same as a 13. At least, as far as measureable electical properties go. THe whole debate about differing sound qualities of caps that measure the same electrically takes on a whole new dimension when mixing caps to get certain values. Also, paralleling a 6 and a 7 to get a 13 is one thing, but paralleling a 39 and a 1 to get 40 brings in stuff about bypassing that's another whole ball of wax.

If you parallel caps, it lowers the overall ESR. IOW's, there is less loss when you parallel. The general rule is that paralleled caps should be as close in equal value as possible. For this reason, I usually parallel when values are large. For example, in the networks I build, including the Cornwall ALK, I parallel two 20's as opposed to using one 40uF. There is an argument that paralleling causes signal degradation since the signal is split. I've decided the argument is BS.

Classic bypassing: paralleling a higher quality capacitor with one of lower quality to lift the performance of the lower quality capacitor. Typically involves the use of a film and foil with an electrolytic, polyester, or metallized polypropylene. The rule of thumb is that the bypass cap should be at least 1/10 the value of the value it's supporting. I once read about a thing called "spectral overlap", and the writer insisted bypass caps should be 1/100th of the base value. I bypass when it seems to make sense to do it.

Making sure the outer foil is oriented towards the load is BS, but I do it anyways because I always follow the instructions.1.gif

Yes, the Auricaps are excellent, as well as the Kimbers. They're built with quality film and have great lead terminations. However, both of these caps are starting to creep into film and foil territory price wise.

Guys,

I agree with Dean in the dividing of caps into two in parallel each of equal value. I am also going away from the idea of a "bypass cap". I think this is valuable at RF but overated at audio. I compared the loss factor of a 20+20 uFd with a 39 uF + 1 uF bypass and found the 20+20 to have considerably lower loss. This was true at both 1 KHz and at 10 KHz.

Al K.

Al/Dean

have you ever measured series resonant freq of foil caps?

I have found my BIG Cu foil PIOs (13 & 2uF)(pics in a prevoius thread) extremely bright in the AK-3 xo compared to the stock components. I much prefer the stock metalized capacitor 'sound' more balanced, less shrill.

My Cu foil PIOs are seriously big componenets just wondering if the 'wound' plates are series resonating in-band? In mean time I've reverted to stock items.

(All PIOs were wired outer foil towards input)

You can get a 12.5 uF caps, polypropylene film in oil from alliedelec.com I've used them and like them. The Allied Stk# is 225-2208. ASC part number is X387S-12.5-10-330. These are rated at 12.5 uF but I measured 12.7 uF. That's within 2.3% of the desired value. Price $6.74 each.

http://www.alliedelec.com/cart/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=225-2208&SEARCH=ASC&ID=&DESC=X387S%2D12%2E5%2D10%2D330

Hope this helps.

What's the skinny on the stock 'Tecate Industries Mejico' AK3 Heritage xo caps ?

These are motor-start caps.

Apparently also used by older Heritage models as well?

I admit they sound very good.

hallo i have change the caps in ak-3 and i use the m-cap supreme 13uf and m-caps for the rest of the crossover and i can only say its sound much better then the orginal caps

i have test some audion caps and i dont like them after i have test the m-caps16.gif