La Scala bass bin access from the top?

psg

Hi all,

Second question tonight...

I've seen pictures of La Scala build or veneer projects where the access to the woofer in the bass bin is on the underside of the speaker. I can assure you that mine doesn't have this access cover (they date from 1973). However, the crossover board sits on on top of another bigger board on top on the bass bin. Is this the access to the woofer in my case? Did Klipsch build them differently? I have a bit of trouble believing I can get the 15" woofer out through the top even after removing the mid-horn and the crossover...

I was thinking I'd rewire everything when I swaped out my crossovers this summer, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks!

Peter,

Yes, more than likely, your access door is in the top, which is more of a pain to get into since you just about have to remove everything else to open it up.

They even made some that had the doghouse go horizontal, which placed the access door on the left or right side (pretty ugly), but I think that was the first ones that were intended for use as P.A. speakers.

Marvel

Thanks! That's good to know and very reassuring. Do you know if there's a sealer joint of some sort in there that will need to be replaced when I open it up?

I got the La Scala's when I was around 17 from a cousin in Montreal. I recall him saying that he replaced the woofers once and that they were made by "Gauss" (sic?). I had forgotten about that since I wasn't aware of klipsch details back then. So I'm somewhat anxious to see what is actually in there. Did Gauss ever build the woofers for Klipsch?

Not that I'm aware of they were simply another (popular for a time) pro audio company. You'd have to pull them and see exactly what you got. Who knows... they may be worth more than used K33s... making a swap, a snap.

Rob

Klipsch used some Gauss drivers in their industrial line in the 70s.

The first MCM1900 had a Gauss HF4000 midrange driver in it. This was later replaced by a manifold with four K55V on it.

I think they went to EV after a while for some of the woofers. The Klipsch factory rep told me the Gauss would have frame failures if they were dropped.