Jubilee project (home for a listen)

Hi All,

The drivers I'm using are the pioneer A30GU40-51D. They are 6 ohm. Called Pioneer to get more info. They said they'd get back to me. Nothing yet. Maybe an email would be more effective.

Got the drivers wired in parallel right now. They remind me of LaScalas with extended low end. The upper-mids are punchy and strong. the lower freq. are tight. Need to get them positioned in my listening area for a further listen.

Thanks again for all the kind words folks.

AL- As soon as I get info from pioneer I'll shoot it to you and thanks again for your help.

Big D

Hi Darrel,

You build very nice looking speakers! Congratulations!

I would try to wire the speakers in parallel if the amplifier is able to drive the resulting load (without second breakdown etc.). If you wire them in series the would build a voltage divider. And if the impedance rise at fs happens to be at different fs the driver with the higher impedance at a given frequency gets much more power. I. E. if you have 1 driver at 4 Ohm and 1 at 8 Ohm at a given frequncy the 8 Ohm driver will get 2 times the power of the 4 Om version with reduced damping for the 4 Ohm speaker as it sees the amp impedance through an 8 Ohm resistance.

Wired in parallel the 4 Ohm driver will get twice the power of the 8 Ohm driver without any electrical impact between the drivers as the amp is a voltage sources.

Perhaps these thoughts could help. Good luck.

Thomas

"They remind me of LaScalas with extended low end. The upper-mids are punchy and strong. the lower freq. are tight."

If you have succeded in obtaining the sound you describe above Darrell, you have a winner on your hands.3.gif More reviews please.

Rick

Great work. It looks like so much fun, I wish I had the time to tackle this project right now.

So how are we going to know for sure what they sound like from your description? I don't mean this in an insulting way, it's just the subjective nature of someone listening to equipment. Is there a way for you to document the performance?

Greg

Greg,

Sorry, the only testing equipment I have are my two ears. I know that's not much to go on, but I tried to do my homework before I started this project. The few others that have heard them had favorable comments. Once I get this upper section worked out, I think I'll have a good sounding speaker.

Big D